PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Hollowing Tools

Richard Bell CA
07-28-2009, 6:19 PM
Hello all:

Up to this point I have primarily turned open bowls, and am now starting into hollow forms. While I have used straight shank Sorby Multi-tip tools and long scrapers for a few tall vessels, I decided it would be worthwhile to take the time to fabricate some tools to aid in the hollow forms. Attached are a few photos of tools to date, with inspiration and information gleaned from this forum as well as other sites. I am fortunate to have limited metalworking capability in my garage, which makes life a little easier. I would welcome any comments, particularly areas for improvement and suggestions for other tools that you have found helpful in your work. I would also be happy to provide additional information/sources/photos where I can. (Note that I have not painted anything yet, I will do this after I have a chance to work with the tools and make any required modifications.)

The first photo shows several tools. The four on the bottom are 3/8" and 1/2" diameter shanks, with straight and swan neck configurations in each size. All use Hunter replacement cutters, 10MM cutters for the 3/8", and 12MM cutters for the 1/2". The swan neck configurations have the cutters placed at a 40 degree angle from horizontal, and were hot formed to achieve the shape. The handles are locally harvested black locust, with ferrules made from rigid copper tubing. The four tools on the top are 3/4" diameter shanks, and are intended for use in both hand held and hollowing rig configurations. The 5th and 6th from the top are tapered to accept a 10MM hunter cutter, while the last two at the top have square HSS metal lathe cutters. The black and blue handle in the center can be used with any of the 3/4" diameter tools. It is fabricated from mechanical tubing (the black area close to the tool shank is treated with gun blue) and the blue section is a textured rubber grip.

The second photo shows a typical tip with the Hunter carbide cutter. The shanks were tapered and shaped on a metal lathe, followed by cutting the pockets and tapping the screw holes on a mill-drill. I used modified 8-32 screws for both size cutters, although I had to open up the hole in the smaller cutters by a few thousanths to fit the screw.

The next two photos show a hollowing rig that borrows heavily from the Monster setup. One major difference is in the configuration of the captive bar. I used two pieces of 1 1/4" OD mechanical tubing (0.120" wall) separated by welded 1" square spreaders ( mechanical tubing is better than pipe for this application). The tube assembly can be flipped and rotated to potentially use all four ends as attach points for cutting tools (hope that makes sense). All four ends have been drilled and tapped for 1/4-20 set screws, and two have been fitted with 1" tubing to reduce the ID down to accept 3/4" shanks. The remaining two will accept 1" shanks if I need more rigidity, although I don't see a need right now. Another advantage of this configuration is that the shank attach point does not need to be machined (easy to fabricate new tools), and can be retracted or extended to any position. One thing I am concerned about is the rigidity of the laser attachment, which I will evaluate and modify as required after some use.

The last photo is an articulated arm attachment that is still in work. It uses the same tools and support as the other hollowing rig. In both cases I added a screw adjustment to provide better height control. (It is the vertically mounted siver colored capscrew on the tailstock side of the support)

Well, that's it for now. This site has been a wealth of information for me, and I appreciate the opportunity to participate.

alex carey
07-28-2009, 6:29 PM
looking good, you sure made a lot of tools, hope they all work out for you.

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2009, 8:56 PM
Those are some good looking tools. Looks like they will do the job.

Ryan Baker
07-28-2009, 9:24 PM
Nice tools. I think you are underestimating a bit with "limited metalworking capability". Have fun making big piles of curlies.

Alan Trout
07-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Richard,

Very nice tools. I really like your captive rig. I might have to borrow some of your ideas when I build mine.

Thanks for sharing.

Alan

ROY DICK
07-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Amazing. Nicely made homemade tools. (Limited I think not).
Roy

Steve Schlumpf
07-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Richard - very impressive arrangement of hollowing tools! Should be able to do some great hollowing with them! Looking forward to seeing the results real soon!

Bill Bolen
07-29-2009, 11:49 AM
What a fine assortment of hollowing tools you made. The quality looks to be on par with many of the professional tool manufacturers out there. I also am looking forward to seeing what you do with them. I'm sure your turning results will be much the same as your tooling results...outstanding that is! Might I suggest you add a swivel tip tool to you arsenal, somewhat like the sorby tips. The swivel will be most helpful with broad shouldered HF's. Very impressive...Bill..

Phil Labowski
07-29-2009, 2:21 PM
Isn't it amusing how many of us get into this to turn wood and wind up becoming metal workers too? lol
Great looking tools! Now make some stuff out of wood to show us!:D

Randy Privett
07-29-2009, 7:52 PM
Good looking tools.;)

Randy

Brian Novotny
07-29-2009, 7:54 PM
Nice tools. I think you are underestimating a bit with "limited metalworking capability". Have fun making big piles of curlies.
I'm signing up for a metalworking class RIGHT NOW!!!!

Bruce Wolberg
08-25-2009, 5:28 PM
Nice looking tools and handles. What is the tubing and foam grip on the black and blue handle that is in the middle of the first picture? Also, is it hard to install the foam? And suppliers? Thanks for sharing. Our club has me checking into this for a project.
Bruce

Richard Bell CA
08-25-2009, 9:59 PM
Bruce:

I purchased my materials locally here in the Sacramento area. I don't think they do mail order, but you may be able to find a similar supplier in your area.

http://www.bluecollar-supply.com/

The handle is made from 1 1/4" mechanical tubing with a 0.120" wall. An 8" piece of 1" mechanical tubing with 0.120" wall is inserted in the end, and extends past the end of the 1 1/4" tubing by about 0.2" (middle of first photo). I joined it using a brass rod fillet applied with an oxy acetylene torch, but it could also be welded. (It could even be held in place with setscews if you don't have welding equipment.) The combined thickness of the two tube walls is almost 1/4", so 1/4" set screws will be flush with the surface - nothing to snag your hand. Mechanical tubing is better than pipe for this application. Tubing is measured by OD, and pipe is measured by nominal ID at schedule 40 - 1" mechanical tubing is slightly smaller than a 3/4" schedule 40 pipe. Fit with mechanical tubing is much better with a 3/4" diameter tool (3/4" rod is a sloppy fit in 3/4" schedule 40 pipe), and the surface finish and tolerances are much better than black pipe.

The black finish is gun blue, very easy to apply.

The grip is fixed length (17") molded rubber to fit on a 1 1/4" diameter tube or shaft, the thickness of the rubber is about 1/10", and it has a textured surface. The as-received sleeve is on the right side of both photos. I put it on by clamping the mechanical tube in a vise, and pushing the rubber sleeve into position by sliding my hands down the sleeve. The goal is to compress the sleeve immediately in front of your hand so it will slide a small amount at a time (just think the opposite of chinese handcuffs). I used a snap-in black plastic plug as a finishing touch on the open end - steel plugs are also available as shown.

I was fortunate that they just happened to have what I needed at Blue Collar. The mechanical tubing was less than $1 per foot in short lengths, and the rubber sleeve was 79 cents. Blue Collar has a lot of surplus stuff, so unfortunately I don't know who the manufacturer is. Molded grips are probably easier to find for mechanical tubing since the OD is a standard size, like 1", 1 1/4", not the oddball dimension of pipe.

Hope this helps. If some of this is not clear or you need more information, I'll be glad to help.

Richard

Gary Conklin
09-08-2009, 1:23 PM
Richard,

Man that looks like an awesome store I am super JEALOUS!!!

Mauricio Ulloa
09-08-2009, 1:30 PM
Wonderful job! I amazed by the quality of your craft and your attention to detail. These tools look the same or better than the ones that could be obtained from commercial sources. You invested your time to make useful tools that are also pleasant to look at. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Mike Spanbauer
09-08-2009, 1:52 PM
Richard,

I'm just up the hill from you apparently and love the rigs and handles. I am trying to find an affordable way to add hollowing to my tool arsenal and your solution may be the perfect solution.

If you'd shoot me a PM w/ some advice, I would be most grateful! Or, we could chat on the phone some evening at your convenience to discuss?

Cheers!

mike

Richard Bell CA
09-08-2009, 6:43 PM
Gary:

Yes, it is a great store. A large part of their customer base is DIY types, so you can buy just what you need. I don't get there as often as I like due to the distance, but I make the trip when it is justified. (By the way, I loved your post about building your own hollowing rig, looked like a fun day.)

Mike:

I'll be glad to provide any information I can. I'll PM my contact information.

Richard

Rob Cunningham
09-08-2009, 8:10 PM
They are some fine tools Richard. Very professional looking.