PDA

View Full Version : quick question on accuris

Lisa Quinlan
07-28-2009, 2:12 PM
I am engraving a barnwood frame that is recessed in the middle about 1".
How do I stop the head from going home when it is finished so it won't hit the raised part of the frame?
I cannot get a response from signwarehouse (since early yesterday)!!!
Thank you for your help
Lisa

Scott Challoner
07-28-2009, 2:41 PM
I'm assuming your Accuris is similar to my LaserPro as they're both made by GCC I think.
I think you should have enough room. Try focusing in the middle, remove the focus tool and then move the carriage around by hand to see if it clears.
Also, if you use center mode when engraving, the carriage will return to the starting point in the middle.
Keep in mind that if the carriage doesn't clear, your engravable area is limited since it needs approximately 2 inches of travel to turn around.
If the panel you're engraving is 10 inches wide, you will need 2 inches minimum on the left and right side for the carriage to turn around. If you have SmartAct in your driver it is less, but I'm not sure I would risk it.

Scott Challoner
07-28-2009, 6:27 PM
I just checked. I forgot about the cone for the air assist. It won't clear 1 inch.

Dave Johnson29
07-28-2009, 7:00 PM
How do I stop the head from going home when it is finished so it won't hit the raised part of the frame?

Hi Lisa,

Some thoughts.

Do you have a pause or stop button?

Can you lift the lid when it is finished and does that pause?

If it pauses, maybe add a small raster section in a color that will turn the laser intensity to 0 or as close as possible. While it is busy doing that raster area lift the lid or hit the stop or pause button.

Rustic I know, but all I can come up with not knowing the laser.

Scott Erwin
07-31-2009, 7:41 PM
Lisa,
I am guessing you have the Accuris or Pinnacle engraver, since you did not list it in your signature line (highly suggested you put what equipment you have and suggested you put what software you have too). Each of these machines start in the upper right and end in the upper right. There is no setting to stop this as far as I am aware.

If you have one of these two engravers, there is only two ways I know of to accomplish what you want.

The first is to use the 4" lens (this should give you enough clearance).

If you dont have the 4" lens then the only other way would be to set up your initial engraving in black (use the red, green, or other colors if needed except the orange or last color in your sequence of colors). Set up a small 1/4" x 1/4" square no outline, solid fill in orange, and put it off to the side of the initial engraving so you dont accidently engrave on it. Set the orange to the fastest speed, minimal power, and lowest PPI. When the initial engraving is completed the head will then go to the orange square to "engrave". When the head moves to the square, turn the main power off. This will stop everything. Once the head/engraver stops then you can move the piece out of the machine.

I am guessing that you are starting the engraving with the head in the center of the wood you are engraving, then move the table up to focal height.

Hope this helps...not the answer you really wanted I am sure, but it is the nature of the beast or should I say engraver.

Mark Williams
08-26-2009, 10:40 PM
If you use the "autoshift" function in the driver, it will always go up to the top of the table......before going home

Rodne Gold
08-27-2009, 12:09 AM
If you have a rebadged GCC load in the GCC drivers/firmware , it has many modes of "start points" and you can easily set it not to home.

Ron Hamilton
08-27-2009, 2:35 AM
Hi Lisa,
I have the 30 Watt Accuris, had the same problem with engraving dinnerware. I got the 4"lens and problem solved.

It is great for glass less shelling and also clears the rotary head when engraving barware, great investment.

Hope this helps

Ron.....

Mike Null
08-27-2009, 7:04 AM
I am not familiar with your machine but some machines offer a feature that will allow you to select the start and stop points (same).

Some also have a removeable cone that, when removed, allows extra space between the lens and the work. I use both these features on my machine as necessary.