PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit on the North Shore

Karl Laustrup
07-28-2009, 12:59 PM
The North Shore of Lake Superior is where we went. We traveled all the way to the Canadian border. Weather was not the greatest; cloudy, foggy, windy, rainy and sunny, but the temps weren't that bad. Mostly 60's unless the sun was out and then it warmed up quick to the high 70's.

There were two reasons for this trip. First we had been up part way to the Canadian border a few years ago and because of the scenery wanted to see more. The other reason was to visit "Creeker" Tyler Howell who now lives in Grand Marais, MN, about 50 miles from the Canadian border.

Tyler & me in front of his shop, which is very nice by the way. He took us on a tour of the town, showing us the radio station where he plays some tunes a couple of hours a week and where he's learning how to do all kinds of old time WW'ing.
123922 123924

The above is LOML, Tyler and my mom in front of the school and the other pic is of a heavy duty saw horse that Tyler made using mostly hand tools. The saw horse is heavy duty for sure.

This is the schooner that Tyler crews on taking tourists on short tours of the area.

This is Tyler's house. This is about the only view one can get as he is surrounded by forrest. It seems to be a very comfortable house and serves his purpose. The shop/garage is spectacular.

After the tour of the downtown area we had a bite of lunch and then waited for the Dragon Boat parade, which was a hoot. Parade members and people watching were exchanging water balloons, which we found out is a tradition.

All in all, even with the funky weather, it was a great trip with beautiful scenery made even better with a visit to a good friend. Tyler is a great person and if you happen to find yourself in the area [actually you don't find yourself there, you have to plan it] Grand Marais is a nice little town.

Thanks, Tyler, for the hospitality and hope to see you down this way soon.

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
07-28-2009, 1:21 PM
Karl....it seems so ironic to use this phrase...Tyler is on my "short" list of Creekers to visit!

Congrats! He's a class act and I miss his daily participation here.

Jim King
07-28-2009, 4:56 PM
Being from Northern Wisconsin I truely appreciate the North Shore. When I was a little kid my aunt and uncle used to take me every summer to a resort just outside of Silver Bay. My wife and I continued the tradition with our son.

There is nothing better than sitting by Gooseberry Falls and eating smoked white fish. A lot of good memories looking into that crystal clear water and seeing fish and collecting agates on the shore..

I have been a lot of places and really dont think there is any place more beautiful.

Al Willits
07-29-2009, 8:16 AM
Wife and I have been trying to get up there all summer, her company was bought out and the change over is driving her nuts, and our dog is doing very poorly right now and we still don't know what's wrong with her.

Life keeps getting in the way Tyler, we'll get there sooner or later.

Sounds like ya had a great time Karl, it would have been nice to see you too.
Thanks for the pictures.

Al

Tyler Howell
07-29-2009, 9:57 AM
Does this look like a guy in charge.
Karl's Lovely bride and mom were a real treat to have in house.
Weather and timing kept us from a few of the adventures on my North Shore tour. On your return trip Karl I promise we'll hit them up.

Nice to get an update on the Creek activities. We talk about an old wood chipper (Pesh) that passed on to a better place.

Running pretty wild right now but I hope to get back to a regular dip in the creek.

Let me know when your headed this way.

Take Care
TJH

Belinda Barfield
07-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Looks like a great visit, and thanks for the update on Tyler. Like the others, I miss his participation here.

Jon Grider
07-29-2009, 5:36 PM
I guess I'm too new here to know Tyler, but I have been up the North Shore before. Grand Portage is the summer home to the Voyageur II and Winona, two ferries that take backpackers, canoeists,and kayakers to one of my favorite places in the world, Isle Royale National Park. The drive is spectacular,but if you go have your spouse drive so you can catch all the beautiful scenery.:D

Nancy Laird
07-29-2009, 6:31 PM
Tyler, I've missed you too. I sure wish I could get up that way again--it's been about 6 years since Duluth and almost two since the Cities. Maybe in a couple of years--after David retires (again!).

Jim Becker
08-01-2009, 6:23 PM
Very kewel 'Creeker visit!!!!!! I've had the pleasure of meeting Tyler more than once (as well as one of his very smart and lovely daughters) and if you look up the word "Gentleman" in the dictionary, his smile is right there next to the word. :)