PDA

View Full Version : Dr. SWMBO's New Tool

Jim Becker
09-03-2004, 9:56 PM
When I stopped by Mid-State Equipment a few Saturdays ago to pick up a new belt for the mower deck and some other Kubota maintenance supplies, I noticed a card on the board for a chipper/shredder that was on the lot on consignment. So...I took a look at it and was surprised to find a unit built in 2001 that essentially had never been used buy its owner. It was in absolutely "new" condition...not a scratch on or in it. When I got home, I told Dr. SWMBO about it and we planned to check it out the following Saturday morning. Well, time being time, we didn't make it back until this afternoon...and she bought it!:cool:

This is a Woods 5000 3pt chippper/shredder with a maximum capacity of 5" branches, although with our tractor, we can only handle material that big if it's short. PTO horsepower is less than the 23hp that the diesel engine in our BX-22 puts out and too much strain on the really huge flywheel can slow things down to the point of a stall. (The attachment weights 485 lbs and most of that is the flywheel) A larger tractor would undoubtedly not break a sweat even on the big stuff...but that aint' in the cards...;)

At any rate, this was a steal at about 3/5 of what it would have sold for new. No warranty because it's used, but I'm not worried.

Waymon Campbell
09-03-2004, 10:51 PM
Hmmm... I usually use my router, planer, jointer, TS, etc... to make sawdust and woodchips :D . Never thought about using one of those!

Seriously nice accessory for yard cleanup :cool: .

Jim Becker
09-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Waymon, we compost and all non-meat kitchen waste, storm debris, newspaper and other landscaping trimmings get used as part of that process...oh, my non-walnut "cyclone poop" goes into it, too. :D You can see the latest pile just to the rear left of the small trailer in the picture.

Dick Parr
09-03-2004, 11:06 PM
Very nice Jim, if you are ever in this neck of the woods stop by, I have a very large pile of branches you can practice on. :p I do like that set-up. :)

Mark Singer
09-04-2004, 12:36 AM
You finally are showing your avatar machine! "AM"

Tyler Howell
09-04-2004, 7:33 AM
Yo Jim,

Would you run paper through as well for composting??? Just nosie!;)

Jim Becker
09-04-2004, 9:39 AM
Would you run paper through as well for composting??? Just nosie!We do compost some paper; largely newspaper from the bird cages, but also stuff from the shredders. Ali does put the newspaper through her smaller chipper/shreader--it will not go through this one, largely because there is no safe way to get it into the machine. It's not made for that kind of thing. We're keeping the old one to process such material as well as very wet stuff that again, isn't appropriate for the larger wood-oriented Woods attachment.

Michael Stafford
09-04-2004, 9:43 AM
We also have a small garden and eat all of my shop's wood waste after it passes through the compost bins. Yummy, cocobolo is my favorite!

Tyler Howell
09-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Just curious, incase Oli North needs a quick rural fix.:D
I generate a lot of office paper and shred most but our fair city will collect and recylce it. My small urban plot can't support a large compost pile but it produced some of the best tomatoes I've ever eaten.
I have the most expensive compost in town as I don't get around to a lot of the fresh fruit and veggies....... while they're still fresh.:o
Thanks for sharing Jim ;)

Chris Damm
09-06-2004, 2:19 PM
I picked one up in about the same condition. It looked like it had been mounted on the 3 pt. hitch but never used. I have a B2400 Kubota which is a similar sized tractor. It works well for chipping up hardwood scraps for the smoker! I traded an old rototiller for mine. :D :D
Chris

Jim Becker
09-06-2004, 2:43 PM
I traded an old rototiller for mine.
Well, you definitely got a better "deal" (financially) than we did! But we're happy with the purchase. If we find that we use it a lot, I'll likely add the blower to it. With the chips just dropping, it requires a bit of shovel work and moving the tractor to clear the area for more "hot chipping action"... :D But we want to use it for awhile before committing another $850 or so for the blower.