PDA

View Full Version : Too big to mend?

Dan Forman
07-28-2009, 5:20 AM
I lost a bark inclusion on the rim of this bowl, thinking of trying to fix with epoxy and maybe coffee grounds. It is about 1/2" long, and 1/4" deep.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020306.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020307.jpg
I guess I would have to use masking tape to contain the mix until it hardens. Any other tips for something this big? There are also a number of what I guess are worm or beetle holes which have been exposed, might just let them be, but will they collect buffing compound if I buff this? The wood is Siberian Elm.

Thanks,

Dan

Toney Robertson
07-28-2009, 6:48 AM
I would just leave it alone but that is me.

If I have a piece with worm holes I sometimes use the EEE but never WD.

Toney

Keith Burns
07-28-2009, 8:12 AM
I would leave it as is as well. Don't load your buffing wheels up and have a light touch with the wheels around this and you should be fine. May get a little fuzz but that comes out with tweezers.

Steve Schlumpf
07-28-2009, 8:26 AM
I agree with the statements of letting the bowl remain as is! If the bowl already has some natural bug-holes - this embellishment will fit right in!

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2009, 11:24 AM
I agree. Leave it as is.

Reed Gray
07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
For that bark inclusion, I would first chase it with thin CA glue, then follow with some of the medium to fill the holes around the bark so that it is solid and won't fall out, but don't fill the hole all the way to the rim. It really looks nice. As to the bug holes, if it is intended for wet foods like salads, then they need to be filled. Same method as filling the bark inclusion. Most of the time for me, too many holes to fill puts the bowl into my 'seconds' box which I take to one of my shows and sell for 'nothing more than $5.' Unless the piece of wood is special to you or some one you are making it fore, it really takes a lot of extra time.

robo hippy

Ben Galluzzo
07-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I have to agree. I like that piece of character.

Dan Forman
07-28-2009, 2:51 PM
Thanks for the encouragement not to repair. As this is one of my first bowls, I'll either keep it or give it away. There are quite a few of those little bug tunnels about the size and shape of a small grain of rice, oblong rather than round. Would take a long time to fill them.

Dan

Kyle Iwamoto
07-28-2009, 3:35 PM
I know it's too late now, but when I get those inclusions, or knots, I use thin CA and try to hold it in there. requires frequent stopping and filling.

First bowl, very nice. I made 3 before I actually got a finished bowl. Leave it be. Actually I'd hit it with some CA now, keep whats left.

If you're really wanting to get the bowl without a crack, you can turn it out until the rim is flat.

curtis rosche
07-28-2009, 3:36 PM
if you try to use tape to form the epoxy, use the blue painters tape. epoxy reacts with masking tape and peals it loose. then you have a mess everywhere

Jarrod McGehee
07-30-2009, 2:34 AM
Curtis, blue painters tape IS masking tape...

And elm often is prone to beetles.