PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw safety jigs

Dan Forman
07-28-2009, 5:02 AM
Probably nothing new to many of you, but thought I'd share these two simple jigs which make it a bit easier and safer to make certain cuts on the bandsaw.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020302.jpg

First up is for slicing logs, can also be used to resaw round blanks if you don't want to use the whole thickness, and don't want to turn the excess into more shavings to sweep up. There is a column of screw holes going from top to bottom, through which the workpiece can be attached. If the flat surface of the log is smooth enough, you can also use double sided tape, in the event that you don't want to mar the flat side with a screw. The cut can be made freehand or with the fence, once set for drift. To join the two pieces I used 5 pocket screws and glue, which is quite stable, and resulted in a true right angle, though for this purpose it's not that critical.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020304.jpg

This is just a piece of plywood with a runner to fit in the miter slot, which eliminates the rocking of a piece as it is pushed trough the saw if the bottom isn't flat. The workpiece can be stabilized with appropriately sized wedges if necessary so that it goes straight through the blade without rocking, twisting, or binding. Theoretically blade drift could be an issue with the runner, but it hasn't been a problem for me, perhaps there is enough give with piece held to the jig only by gravity.

Dan

David Walser
07-28-2009, 8:55 AM
Dan,

Those are great ideas. Thank you for sharing.

Bernie Weishapl
07-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Great idea's Dan. Thank you for sharing.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Simple and it works! That gotta be a big bandsaw.....

Michael Mills
07-28-2009, 12:22 PM
That’s a terrific idea Dan.
As an alternative, for the upright, use 3 or 4 pieces of pegboard glued together with yellow carpenters’ glue. (holes lined up). Of course you will need to use a fender washer with the screw to make sure the screw head doesn’t pull through. You can then position your screws wherever you need them. On a round log there could be a screw at each end. Usually the log is cut a couple of inches longer to allow for some stress cracks so this will be in the cut off area anyway.
You may need to add a triangular brace to connect the bottom plate and upright if pegboard is used.

Mike