PDA

View Full Version : Dark, Milk, and White Chocolate Sanding Blocks

Jason Strauss
07-27-2009, 9:23 PM
While milling some stock for an upcoming kitchen stool project, I decided to make some needed sanding blocks. Since I’m just starting out, it seems like I’ve spent most of my time in the shop making things for the shop – cabinets, work bench, jigs, now sanding blocks. I found the plan in an issue of WOOD magazine from last year. The wood came from a barn that my grandfather recently tore down – he builds beautiful log cabins from mostly recycled barn timbers. According to him this particular barn was constructed in 1889 – so, no need wait for the stock to dry out! I planned to make just two, but decided to make as many as my scrap pile would allow so as to give to my brothers and buddies. I ended up with seven! Their made of pignut hickory and walnut. I particularly like the contrast between the heartwood and sapwood of the hickory and the walnut – dark, milk, and white chocolate. Quick and relatively easy project, but lots of fun!

Leigh Betsch
07-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Looks great. I'm sure they will come in handy for years to come.

John Thompson
07-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Nice little build you will use for years.. You always end up building things for the shop if not the shop itself starting out. I have been doing this for 38 year and had to stop and build a few new spring-boards (my version of feather boards), push sticks... etc. the other day between projects. So.. it never really ends and at the beginning it seems endless.

John Keeton
07-28-2009, 7:59 AM
So.. it never really ends and at the beginning it seems endless.Sarge, are you talking about shop projects, or life itself:D Just had to get philosophical on ya'!!

Jason, those turned out very nice, and looks like you had a good production setup going there.

Tom Hargrove
07-28-2009, 1:34 PM
Jason -

Nice design!

I have sanding blocks on the to-do list, and will probably borrow liberally from your ideas. I have a couple questions:

1) Is the sandpaper held in place simply by the friction/pressure between the top and bottom blocks? I have seen some designs that use small pieces of sandpaper on the bottom side of the top block, and others use small brads to grab the sand paper.

2) The bottom surface of the block is wood, rather than felt, cork or other "soft" surface. Do you find the hard surface preferable to a soft surface?

Jason Roehl
07-28-2009, 5:20 PM
If you had made each block only one color, you could have kept them stocked with different papers--dark in a coarser grit, and finer as the blocks get lighter.

Jim Becker
07-28-2009, 9:55 PM
I have one of those actually made by Marlen at WOOD and the design is just great. I love using it. One of these days I'll be making more! You did well by choosing the design for your shop.

Tom Sontag
07-29-2009, 12:12 AM
2) The bottom surface of the block is wood, rather than felt, cork or other "soft" surface. Do you find the hard surface preferable to a soft surface?

+1

I use a variety of sanding blocks and almost always reach for one with a softer surface than hickory. It would not be hard to glue a piece of leather or fabric to the underside if you decide this is a good idea. Nice looking work!

Jason Strauss
07-29-2009, 8:54 AM
Jason -

I have a couple questions:

1) Is the sandpaper held in place simply by the friction/pressure between the top and bottom blocks? I have seen some designs that use small pieces of sandpaper on the bottom side of the top block, and others use small brads to grab the sand paper.

Tom,

1 - The blocks are designed to hold a 1/4 sheet of standard sand paper. So, basically the edges of the paper fold around top of the lower section and are locked in place by screwing down the top section. If you look closely at the picture, you'll see that the sides of the lower section extend about 1/4" above the main part. Everything locks in nice and tight.

2 - I do intend to use some sort of softer material for the bottoms of the blocks. I was too busy admiring the contrast in the wood to be bothered to actaully finish them;). I'm thinking of felt.

Thanks for the comments!