PDA

View Full Version : Turning Pens....

Wally Dickerman
07-27-2009, 4:24 PM
I'm one of those old time turners who said that I'd never turn a pen. No turning skills needed...

My wife and I are off in a couple of days for our annual trip to the Pac. NW. to visit family and friends. I needed a few gifts to hand out. So, what the heck, I'll try my hand at turning pens. I got 9 kits and a press. They're all finished and it was great fun. I already have ideas for some fancier pens for Christmas presents. I have a lot of very highly figured wood left over from my segmenting and flatwork days.

I guess that you have to be carefull what new things you try on the lathe. You might get hooked.

Wally

Steve Schlumpf
07-27-2009, 4:50 PM
Wally - glad to hear you enjoyed turning your first pens - something I have yet to try! Any chance you have any photos of the pens you would like to share?

Tim Self
07-27-2009, 4:57 PM
Congrats on taking the plunge. It can be VERY addictive. I said the same thing a year ago.

David Walser
07-27-2009, 5:59 PM
I'm one of those old time turners who said that I'd never turn a pen. No turning skills needed...

If I recall correctly, you've turned a pen or few before. At least, based on this post, you have: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1144362#poststop

You see, Wally, we pay attention to what you say!

Wally Dickerman
07-27-2009, 7:25 PM
If I recall correctly, you've turned a pen or few before. At least, based on this post, you have: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1144362#poststop

You see, Wally, we pay attention to what you say!

Yep, I did turn a bunch of pens for the Bic filler. There sure wasn't any kit or set of instructions for them.

Pro turner Kelly Dunn's young daughter Rachel turns the same kind of pen. They live in Hawaii and she has outlets there.

Wally

Bernie Weishapl
07-27-2009, 8:39 PM
Thats great Wally. I always go back and turn a few pens just for fun and something different.

Joe Mioux
07-27-2009, 9:23 PM
that reminds me, i have a few pens to turn.

joe

Ryan Baker
07-27-2009, 9:37 PM
I turned a bunch of pens some years ago, and I didn't much care for it at all. Nothing wrong with it at all, but it just isn't my thing I guess ... don't really have any desire to do it again. Of course, after reading the prices you guys are charging in the pricing thread, I just might have to consider dragging out the pen kits again (I know I have a box of parts in the basement somewhere). :)

Brian Effinger
07-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Any chance you have any photos of the pens you would like to share?
Yup, no pics... it didn't happen. :p

Did you pierce any of them? I bet you could come up with something really cool. Maybe pierce the upper barrel.

Wally Dickerman
07-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Yup, no pics... it didn't happen. :p

Did you pierce any of them? I bet you could come up with something really cool. Maybe pierce the upper barrel.

Hadn't thought of a pen with holes in it...the ink might run out

Wally

Jarrod McGehee
07-28-2009, 2:18 AM
I wanna see some pics Wally. I believe you did them but I'd still like to see the finish product

Horst Hohoff
07-28-2009, 2:24 AM
Welcome to the vortex, Wally!

Richard Madison
07-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Wally,
How about making a ribbon next? Have you seen Malcolm's pierced ribbon? Think it was on WoW, called "Bill's Ribbon". Some very careful work required for the thin areas (for piercing) to align correctly. Should be right up your alley.

Edit: I have never made a pen.

Jody Amerson
07-28-2009, 2:11 PM
Did someone mention vortex? It sure got me:D, my son made the one at the top for me at school and we just keep getting deeper in it. These were made by my son (13), daughter(11), my brother and his wife and myself. Some are made from the corian from Dupont and Ken Dolph and some are walnut burl supplied by Mark Norman. By this weekend we should have 50 done for the FPP. We just got the lathe a couple months ago so it has been a bit of a learning curve but also a lot of fun. Sorry for the terrible photo.