PDA

View Full Version : Scammer Alert - Foster Cashville

R. A. Mitchell
07-27-2009, 3:36 PM
I just received an on-line inquiry from someone claiming to be Foster Cashville who wanted engraved items shipped from me, near Philadelphia, to South Africa (clue #1). I followed up his broken English inquiry (clue #2), and he asked for a price for 20 hand engraved knives (clue #3). Then I tried to call him on the phone number that he submitted with his on-line inquiry.

The phone number he gave was invalid (Big Clue #4). I wrote back to him to tell him his phone number was no good and asked for a valid number, and he said that he's on the road and would call me if I gave him my phone number (Big Clue #5). I also Googled the name, and an on-line forum popped up discussing a scammer who went by the name of Rev Foster Cashville that operated out of Nigeria. (Huge Clue #6) Again I wrote back, and told him that to protect against on-line fraud, I would need his business address and phone number for verification. I apologized for the inconvenience, but told him that the information was necessary based on inconsistencies in prior communications.

I haven't heard back from him. I'm passing this along to save you folks some time and inconvenience if this scammer should hit you, too.

Ed Hazel
07-27-2009, 3:45 PM
I get these type of inquires a couple of times a month I just hit the delete key. Thy are pretty easy to spot after you have seen a couple.

Bill Cunningham
08-01-2009, 9:11 PM
I collect these things, some are pretty funny.. If I have the time and feel like some fun, I will bait them along a bit.. I'm also a printer, so I quite often get scam request from some Rev. or other in Africa/Ghana/random3rd world, Their usually for something like 80,000 copies of a "save the children" crappy jpg or the like.. But seeing that I might 'already' be a winner in the publisher's clearing house sweepstakes, I really don't need their business :D

John Noell
08-02-2009, 3:09 PM
These guys are really annoying. I live in Fiji and it is VERY hard to get companies to ship to me because they assume I am scamming them. Many never bother to reply, even when I am careful to add that I have a USA-issued credit card etc etc.

Michael Wetzel
08-02-2009, 4:47 PM
I would be annoying and give him the local FBI office phone number to call...

Dan Hintz
08-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Many never bother to reply, even when I am careful to add that I have a USA-issued credit card etc etc.
A mention of a USA-based card would actually set off more red flags for me than not mentioning it... it says you'v planned ahead with your scam.

Just sayin'...

Scott Challoner
08-03-2009, 1:55 PM
A mention of a USA-based card would actually set off more red flags for me than not mentioning it... it says you'v planned ahead with your scam.

Just sayin'...

I was actually thinking the same thing. A friend got a cashiers check from a bank in Michigan for a bear skin rug he was selling. They called and sure enough, the bank didn't cut the check. It turned out to be one of the Nigerian scammers who "ovepay" and then ask you to send them the extra. No. he didn't fall for it.

Jerry Hay
08-03-2009, 7:50 PM
His name alone would tip me off. Foster Cashville that's great That sounds like a character on the Sims games.

Bill Cunningham
08-04-2009, 10:29 PM
I see a new crop of paypay physhing expeditions have launched.. I just got 3 to each of my email accounts.. Beware.. it's strange out there

John Noell
08-05-2009, 3:25 AM

Just sayin'... Sigh. Damned if I do and damned if I don't. So far the very best answer has been to send people to my personal website - with lots of pictures of my family (kids, grandkids, etc.) and tales of our lives over here. When they see that, some merchants say that they cannot believe anyone would go to THAT much trouble to run a scam.