PDA

View Full Version : Open Stave Ribbon Form

Richard Madison
07-27-2009, 1:04 PM
Finally resumed work on this piece that was started many months ago. Should have made it more elaborate but was simply tired of working on it. Has a few imperfections but the joints are all good. I was amazed that the last joint aligned without having to make a "fudge factor" piece. And not quite the elegant shape I had visualized, but still semi-interesting I guess. It is pecan and wenge, about 8" x 9" x 18" with lacquer finish, made from 10 half "bowls" of two sizes. Maybe I can remember the photo this time. C. & C. welcome.

Jarrod McGehee
07-27-2009, 1:39 PM
Richard this one is really nice. I like the open feel of the piece where the wenge separates the pecan. Nice job on the alignment and joinery too!

Jarrod McGehee
07-27-2009, 1:39 PM
could you maybe post a pic of another angle too? or over the top of it to see the full effect?? thanks

Harvey Crouch
07-27-2009, 1:46 PM
Nice job Richard. I am sure that working with two bowl sizes was a real challange. Clearly, you knew what you hoped to end up with when you started. I am curious to know what method you used to design the form.

David Walser
07-27-2009, 1:55 PM
Richard,

I like the airy, light, feeling the open stave construction gives this ribbon form. For some reason, the piece reminds me of railroad tracks and I can imagine a small model train being added to complete the image.

Well done.

Brian Novotny
07-27-2009, 2:06 PM
now, these are the things that inspire me!

Richard Madison
07-27-2009, 3:07 PM
Here's another view that shows the entire shape. Actually there was no design. Just knew I wanted two "bowl" sizes and some twisty bits in the middle. Just have to be careful not to make a wrong turn somewhere along the way. Had a few pieces left over but not enough to do another twisty section, and no more matching material.

Wally Dickerman
07-27-2009, 3:49 PM
I like it Richard. Very nice. I have a list of things that I plan to turn someday. One of these forms is on it.

I definitely will use different kinds of wood than you've chosen. Wenge and pecancrete are on my list of woods that I don't like to turn.

Wally

David Walser
07-27-2009, 3:56 PM
In this picture, the piece looks like it could be a desk lamp.

Malcolm Tibbetts
07-27-2009, 4:13 PM
Richard, segmenters as a group, have barely scratched the surface when it comes to these ribbon forms. It's always fun to see the different directions that turners go with this technique. Congratulations on your "open" version.

Wally, with your turning skills, a ribbon form should be a piece of cake. :o

Steve Schlumpf
07-27-2009, 4:42 PM
Richard - very impressive work! Love the free-flowing curve of the piece!

Toney Robertson
07-27-2009, 7:57 PM
Nice. Very nice.

There ain't no way I could do that.

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
07-27-2009, 8:37 PM
Richard that is a great looking piece. I really like it.

Richard Madison
07-28-2009, 1:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for your kind words. In a sense this is really a fairly basic piece. As Malcolm said, the possibilities are almost endless, with multiple sizes and multiple bevel angles. Give it a try.

charlie knighton
07-28-2009, 1:54 AM
Richard, very nice

alex carey
07-28-2009, 2:40 AM
Confuses the hell out of me, no idea how these things are made.

Bob Hallowell
07-28-2009, 8:19 AM
Richard,
very nice, this is my favorite of your ribbon series.

Bob

Richard Madison
07-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks Bob. I really didn't like that last one with the ants. It was sort of practice/prototype work, actually made from cut-offs from this piece. Am thinking of cutting it up, making a few more sections, and rearranging it a bit. Not sure what's next. Takes a lot of time just making all the "bowls" before you get to the fun part.