PDA

View Full Version : Strain Relief for Power Tool Cords

Chet Kagel
07-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I've got a Porter-Cable Sander and Biscuit Cutter that have frayed power cords that occur right after the molded strain releif on the tool. I'm thinking that when I repair these cords, I would like to install a longer strain relief. I've checked on line and can't find anything. Has anybody else solved this problem and what did you do?:confused:

Jim Rimmer
07-27-2009, 12:31 PM
I have the same problems with some drills. Can't help but would like to know what you find.

glenn bradley
07-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Many flavors. Probably one to fit: http://www.mcmaster.com/#cord-grips/=2xgezc

mickey cassiba
07-27-2009, 1:19 PM
It looks a little tacky, but is quite serviceable, air hose with an I.D the same as the power cord. I repair all of the hand power tools at my place of employment(a wood moulding manufacturer) and have had excellent results.

Lee Schierer
07-27-2009, 1:24 PM
You can get Heyco strain relief bushings. Sometimes you can get a sample free....http://www.heyco.com/products/sec_03/im_03/3-17.jpg

As far as frayed cords go. I've replaced tool power cords with heavy duty extension cords from the local Borg. The extension cords are less costly than separate cords and plugs, come with molded plug and you can cut off and discard the receptacle end.

Chet Kagel
07-27-2009, 2:08 PM
I appreciate the suggestions. I'm thinking of trying the Heyco. At first, I think that I can just shorten the wire but really like the economical idea of using extension cords with the molded plugs. :):)

Tom Godley
07-27-2009, 3:18 PM
This is a real pet peeve of mine - they are almost impossible to find.

My local hardware store always carried them perviously - now they carry the one that Lee has a link to -- but it is not very good.

A few years ago I started to take good cords off of anything that I was throwing out so I would have a few.

Bob Vallaster
07-27-2009, 4:00 PM
This is an item I have seen in traditional hardware stores in my area.
It is not a one-size-fits-all item, so you'll need to take the old item or tool along to make a fit.
The link to McMaster is a good backup.

BobV

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-27-2009, 4:23 PM
It's easier to just let them wear out and replace 'em.

Robert Reece
07-27-2009, 4:25 PM
Just throwing something out, never tried this. What about using heat shrink tubing. I would think if you started with a 1" piece, then overlapped a piece that was 1/2" or 1" longer and did that 4 or 5 times you would build up something that might flex pretty well.

Clint deal
07-27-2009, 5:08 PM
I think a lot of the problem is just plain cheap materials used by the tools companies.
The Dewalt random orbital power cord started falling apart 6 months after I bought it. Same with the Porter-Cable belt sander I bought years ago.
When they get bad I just reuse the strain relief (if it is still good) and buy new drop cords wire and plug ends from the local borg
clint

Rick Whitehead
07-27-2009, 6:37 PM
You can also try Eurton Electric-http://store.eurtonelectric.com/strainreliefs.aspx.They also have brushes and brush caps for electric tools.
I came across them while searching for brush caps for a old Thor drill. I haven't ordered from them yet, so I'm just passing this along. If anyone actually orders from them, please let us know how the service is.
Rick W