PDA

View Full Version : Veneer Contest Entries

Mike Henderson
07-27-2009, 11:32 AM
For those of you who work in veneer, here's (http://www.veneertech.com/challenge/?p=current)the results of the 2009 VeneerTech Craftsman Challenge for your inspiration.

Some pretty impressive stuff. Makes the stuff I do look like Kindergarten work.

Mike

Larry Fox
07-27-2009, 11:58 AM
WOW - very impressive stuff there. However, let's be clear here Mike - nothing makes your work look like Kindergarten work as it is outstanding.

jerry cousins
07-27-2009, 5:58 PM
wow - all the entries were great - lots of creative stuff out there.
jerry

Doug Mason
07-28-2009, 1:18 AM
Thomas Stockton is in the list of entries--he posts here.

Mike Cruz
07-28-2009, 8:09 AM
Ugly, ugly, ugly...Hey, if it isn't ALL solid wood, it isn't "fine furniture" :D

Unbelievable. Some of that high school student stuff is amazing. Can't remember anyone in shop class turning out anything like THAT!

Earl Kelly
07-28-2009, 9:53 AM
There are some gorgeous pieces, but overall I don't feel the quality and quantity was equal with previous yrs. Look back thru the previous yrs entries, and you may agree.

I did not care for the Grand prize winning entry. IMHO the apron(wood choice/color) and leg design looks awkward in relation to the table top. I did love the Marquetry Collectors Cabinet by Chuck Sharbaugh and John Harper's piece.

I applaud Veneer Tech for doing this. It shows what can and is being done with veneer and that it's not just a "cheap substitute" for solid wood.

Congratulations to all the Winners.

Earl

Mike Henderson
07-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I really liked John Harper's "Box with Shadows" (see pix). I may take some ideas from that.

Mike

Earl Kelly
07-29-2009, 8:24 AM
Mike,

That is a really nice box!! I wonder if it's hand or laser cut. Regardless, a lot of time went into the design and making it.

Have you seen Gregg Novosad's work? I believe he won Grand Prize last yr.

Earl