PDA

View Full Version : Veneering a Newel Post

Roger Prichard
07-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi, new member here, directed to this site by Joe at VeneerSupplies.com (thanks!).

Never veneered before (fair amount of other woodworking, tho). My project is to restore a Victorian newel post. It has beautiful mahogany turnings top and bottom, but in the middle has octagonal flat faces, tapered, each 3" x 21". It was originally crotch mahogany veneered, which had gotten chipped badly decades ago.

(Yes, veneering something with outside corners right where it will get whacked by anything being carried past sounds pretty unwise to me, too, but that's what they did and I do want to restore it.)

Someone long ago filled the chips with a very dense and tenacious putty, then painted and grained the whole thing. Once I make sure the surface is tight (seems to be) and dead flat, I'd like to lay sections of new veneer over it.

Since the existing veneer seems to be tight, does anyone see any problem in doing this?
If it sounds workable, what glue/tools would you recommend?
I do a lot of work on a wooden boat, so have marine epoxy galore. I considered that its strength and penetrating nature might be useful in such a high traffic area, but would appreciate advice very much. Thanks!