PDA

View Full Version : Satin, Semi-gloss, or Gloss

Greg Magone
07-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Which of the three finishes are most preferred for woodworking? The specific items I'm referring to are most any project except for kitchen cabinets.

I was at an art fair and most of the expensive items are satin finish, so I assume it's preferred over semi-gloss or full gloss.

The reason why I'm asking is I know of a smoking hot deal on semi-gloss and full gloss polyurethane, but don't want to take away the quality feeling of my woodworking by using an shiny finish if it's not desired.

Thanks!

Jamie Buxton
07-27-2009, 10:21 AM
As a general rule, lower-gloss finishes are easier to live with, and easier to apply. You don't see little imperfections in the application, and small scratches and dings are less obvious. However, higher-gloss finishes show the wood better. I generally use semi-gloss on cabinets.

BTW, there is no industry standard for these terms. One manufacturer's semi-gloss is likely to have a different glossiness than the next manufacturer.

Prashun Patel
07-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Greg-

I don't think there's a strong correlation between gloss and quality. Perhaps there's more of a correlation with clarity; those finishes that highlight and showcase the grain are in general indicative of better wood than those that try to hide or obscure the grain (like paint or darker, pigmented dyes); these might indicate a desire to hide lesser 'quality' woods or to make them appear to be something they are not.

I DO think that a lot of people around here don't like polyurethane as a general rule (I'm not one of those), and think it's heresy to put it on quality pieces.

What's the brand and price of your poly deal?

Greg Magone
07-27-2009, 11:16 AM
I purchased the polyurethane at Lowes. It's Cabot Stain branded and was $8.50 a gallon (on clearance). The polyurethane is regularly $48 a gallon, so the quality should be pretty good.

I've decided to pass on the full gloss and 2 gallons of the semi-gloss should last me a long time.

It is water-based rather than oil-based. I'm not as thrilled with water based poly but I've used it on a lot of my projects over the last ten years, so I know it will work fine.

As far as other finishes go, I have never used anything but poly. I'd like to try shellac or varnishes sometime in the future. I think once you find something that works and is a known, it's mighty hard to try something new, unless you see someone else do it first.

Phil Phelps
07-27-2009, 3:43 PM
I love a high gloss finish on guitars and cars. For me, fine furniture is most always, satin. Same for my hardwood floors and cabinets. Even exterior house paint looks better in a low luster finish. But a black piano, I'd say high gloss.

Howard Acheson
07-27-2009, 4:05 PM
>> I'd like to try shellac or varnishes sometime in the future.

Shouldn't be a problem if you are talking about oil based finishes. Oil based poly is a varnish. It's just a varnish made with a urethane resin instead of an alkyd or phrenolic resin. No real difference except that non-poly varnish is clearer and is a better looking finish than poly varnish. Poly tends to be sort of cloudy.

Neal Clayton
07-28-2009, 2:16 AM
Which of the three finishes are most preferred for woodworking? The specific items I'm referring to are most any project except for kitchen cabinets.

I was at an art fair and most of the expensive items are satin finish, so I assume it's preferred over semi-gloss or full gloss.

The reason why I'm asking is I know of a smoking hot deal on semi-gloss and full gloss polyurethane, but don't want to take away the quality feeling of my woodworking by using an shiny finish if it's not desired.

Thanks!

it depends on the piece, and depends on who will own it, and depends on the finish used.

for instance...

centuries ago high gloss finishes were desired, a high gloss finish was an indication of the time spent by the skilled finisher. as things age and the wax builds up and the older things out there lose their shine, satin finishes become more popular, because people wanted things with duller finishes to put on and around their older, dulled floors and furniture and such. so we come full circle.