PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Plane Jointing Question

Michael Peet
07-27-2009, 9:11 AM
I apologize in advance if threads on this already exist; I don't even know what to call the thing I'm looking for!

I want a plane or plane attachment for jointing edges 90 degrees to the face. I have seen the LV and LN "edge-trimming planes", but the blades are too narrow at only 1". I would be preparing stock wider than that.

I think I have seen pictures of larger planes with brackets or guides, but I do not know what they are called. Please help a noob out!

Mike

Phil Harding
07-27-2009, 9:29 AM
Lee Valley sells two different Jointer Fences. http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/planes/05p3001s1.jpg
One has magnets that attach it to any metal jointer. The other, and the one I have, is designed to screw to the side of their low angle jointer plane. This one works very well for me.

-- Phil

Michael Peet
07-27-2009, 9:43 AM
Thanks Phil, that is what I was thinking of!

It looks like only the jointer plane is pre-tapped for the screws. I wonder how the magnet ones work out in practice.

Thanks again -

Mike

Tristan Raymond
07-27-2009, 9:48 AM
Thanks Phil, that is what I was thinking of!

It looks like only the jointer plane is pre-tapped for the screws. I wonder how the magnet ones work out in practice.

Thanks again -

Mike

I have the magnetic version and find it works very well on my LN low angle jack - the magnets are very strong. You just have to make sure you have a plane with sides 90 degrees to the sole (that's why I don't use it with my Stanley jointers).

Matt Benton
07-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Don't forget that if you're prepping the edge for a glue-up, it doesn't have to be 90 degrees. Just joint both edges at the same time, and you will be good to go...

Frank Drew
07-27-2009, 11:20 AM
A guide like this is extremely easy to fab up out of scrap wood; two small c-clamps will hold it to the wings of your plane quite securely.

Joel Goodman
07-27-2009, 1:06 PM
Stanley, MF, etc also made "Jointer Gauges" which clamp on to the jointer plane and have adjustable fences to set 90 degrees or other angles. I know match planing of joints is a contentious issue here but I like it -- and you don't need a gauge or fence.

Michael Peet
07-28-2009, 8:36 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have a few options to noodle over now.

Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-28-2009, 12:48 PM
google "Shooting board"
With the quotes