PDA

View Full Version : Disston Saw screw question

Joe McMahon
07-27-2009, 8:54 AM
I bought an old Disston dovetail saw. It does not have split nuts. I received it disassembled with a Disston screw and a plain screw and two slotted round nuts. One of the slotted nuts has a hole in the slit and the other is solid.

Is this typical to have a hole in one slot? If so, why is one slitted and is it the one that goes on the Disston medallion bolt or on the plain bolt?

TIA, Joe

Mike Cutler
07-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Joe

Far more folks have much more experience than I do, but the three Disston saws I have are the same screw/nut configuration as yours.
The slotted nut with the hole through the center, which I know as a "Chicago Screw", is for the Medallion piece, as the medallion can't be rotated to tighten.
The one without the hole is for the slotted screw, and may/should have 4 shoulders built into it to lock into place when tightening the screw.

FWIW. The Keen Cutter Miter box saw I have has the same screw/nut configuration.

Joe McMahon
07-27-2009, 2:23 PM
Thanks Mike, makes sense now. Unfortunately, I am all too familiar with the "Chicago screw".:cool::cool::(

harry strasil
07-27-2009, 5:09 PM
might be conservation, they used medallions and slotted thru nuts from old stock. Generally speaking, saws with flush sanded nuts and bolts are pre 1862.

And Disston made large backed saws for other mfg'rs Miter Boxes, I know they did for Stanleys.

Dominic Wellik
07-27-2009, 7:41 PM
Would like a few pics if possible, thanks!