PDA

View Full Version : What is a raised panel?

Virgil Johnson
07-26-2009, 10:50 PM
The thread about raised panels made me think of this...

I always thought what people call a raised panel is really called a "fielded" panel and a raised panel was one where something as added to the face to the panel to "raise" it.

Nothing important. Just wondered if anyone else had heard of this.

Virgil

Frank Drew
07-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Virgil,

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think raising the panel refers to bevelling the edges (on one or both faces) in order to reduce the thickness of the panel where it has to join the frame, but raised and fielded means you've not only cut those bevels but have also clearly defined the central portion of the panel, most commonly with that little shoulder.

Whatever the exact definitions, in older work the raised face of the panel was often on the side that didn't show, like the inside of a door; the raising was considered a means to an end, not yet the design feature it became.

Lee Schierer
07-27-2009, 1:27 PM
I've always thought that a raised panel was one that had a thick center and beveled edges. Applying trim to a door panel is called applique.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-27-2009, 4:18 PM
It's a Magician's trick in which the panel is levitated in the air with no strings attached.

First time I saw it David Copperfield was doing it.
IT was a neat trick he let people from the audience come up and run their hands around it to make sure there were no tricks.

In the spirit if a picture is worth a thousand words: