PDA

View Full Version : Shop tour - finally!

John Keeton
07-26-2009, 9:02 PM
When I first joined SMC, I had some creekers ask if I was going to do a shop tour. Seemed I always had something going on, and didn’t feel like it was clean enough. And, with the thread I did on the installation of my dust collection system, and a build thread I did on a hutch, much of my shop was shown in those pics.

But, here it is – such as it is. I have seen several of the shop tour threads, and this one is hardly up to par. But, it is my little part of the world that provides me with seclusion and a chance to feel creative.

The shop is a stand-alone building, 24’ x 40’ It is generally situated in a north/south direction, so in many of the various views, I will use compass direction so that orientation is consistent.

This is the view to the south taken from in front of our home. The sliding doors that are on the 16’ x 24’ storage area. My workshop occupies the southern 24’ of the building – the far end from this view. This will take several posts, and I will try to break them down so that they make sense.
The entry door is on the left, or east side of the building.
As you enter the shop, this is the entry view, with my work bench along the far wall. Note the high tech window air conditioners.
This is my workbench, and the cabinet above houses some of my planes, chisels, and various tools I have acquired to do dovetails.
Some of you may know that hand tools are a relatively new adventure for me, so nearly everything in this cabinet was acquired over the past year or so.

John Keeton
07-26-2009, 9:07 PM
As you enter the shop, this is the right hand (RH) view, or NW view. Immediately to the right, and out of view in this pic, I have some wall cabinets, and I use the corner to store my jointer and planer in when not in use. My drill press is beside the door.
In the far corner is a fold up/fold down table that I use for nearly everything – including assembly. While it is not a torsion box, I took great pains to get it level, and it actually does very well.

From the entry, this is the LH view, with a bench area, metal bench vise, tool chest with wrenches, and some storage under the bench for the oscillating sander, and the shop vac that rarely gets used since the DC system went in. The long wall also serves as the miter saw station, with storage cabinets underneath to the left of the saw. The floor sweep for the DC is beside the miter saw.
Above the bench is the plane till I recently completed. The most important tool in this cabinet is my Dad's old #3 Defiance plane on the right. Not worth much on ebay, but priceless to me.

John Keeton
07-26-2009, 9:12 PM
This is the NE view back toward the entry door, showing the wall cabinets, and the planer, jointer, and drill press. I keep a variety of junk in the cabinets, including shop manuals, tapes, and various other stuff that I access frequently.
This is the SE view, again back toward the door, with the bandsaw, DC system, and in the corner, my old Veritas router table, and an RBI Hawk scroll saw.
I rarely use the router table since getting the Grizzly TS with the router table extension wing, and the Hawk is my wife’s. Although it has been at least 7 years since it was turned on, she won’t let me sell it. “Someday” she is going to take a break from sewing, grandkids, and the million other things in which she is involved, and get back to some scroll sawing:rolleyes:. I won’t be holding my breath!

Under the out feed table for the tablesaw, I have two drawer stacks on rollers. The one shown below houses router accessories and bits, dado set, and some other saw related stuff. The one on the other side has a lot of the boxes in which my planes came, my sharpening jigs, and a few other things. Both units have empty space in them. I have been in organization mode over the past year, with many changes being made. As time goes on, I hope to fill the drawers with some of the items that are scattered in other areas.

This is the view back out the entry door – looking east.
We live in a secluded area, and in the summer, we cannot see other homes from our house. I can see only one farmhouse from my shop.

Jim Foster
07-26-2009, 9:16 PM
Congratulations on a great start in your new shop!

Our shops are similar in size, but mine houses an open circular stairway that's 6'x6' and a 2'x12' wood rack. It's amazing how much bigger yours looks in the photos with the organization you've put into it and without those two "space-takers."

David G Baker
07-26-2009, 9:20 PM
John,
Beautiful shop.
I was driving around this weekend and saw a yard sale sign. I stopped to check it out. As it turned out the sale was at the home of the guy that custom built my kitchen cabinets. We had some heavy rain earlier in the day so the yard sale became a garage sale in the wood shop. After seeing all of the great shops that have been posted on SMC (yours being one of them) I was shocked at how few tools he had and how old some of them were. I had visions of some super sophisticated shop that had all of the power tools that I have seen on SMC. The work he did on our kitchen cabinets is far better than any that I have seen in any of the Borgs. Another example of the human abilities.

John Keeton
07-26-2009, 9:21 PM
This is the storage area I referred to in the first post.
While it serves many functions (the most important of which is to store the boxes and boxes of Christmas decorations!), I use the east side (LH) for my “hunting corner.” All of my camo, bows, etc. are in this corner, and this is where I change clothes when I hunt. I don’t like my hunting clothes inside the house picking up odors. I also have the metal cabinet that is shown, in which are the requisite power hand tools – drill, circular saw, extension cords, small shop vac, and some other junk. The golf cart, now converted to a "huntin' buggy" as the grandkids call it, is also the general, all purpose running around the place vehicle. I haul wood from the barn with it.

To the right is an old wooden cabinet that I have had for the last 25 years, and this would be its 4th location. I houses all of the spray paints my wife “needs” for various uses, my stains, and some other finishing materials. It is subject to freezing, so I try to avoid water based finishes in here. I am not very good about taking care of some of those items as I should be.
Then, I have my nails, screws, etc in this shelving area. It also ends up being the first place to put something that doesn’t have a regularly assigned home – dump area!
This is the west view from the window to the right of my workbench – I often see deer in the fall, winter, and turkeys in the spring. Note the high tech device used to hold open the windows:D
This is the north view looking out the other door from the shop into the storage area. Our home is to the right, and the red barn in the distance is where I store my lumber.

David Christopher
07-26-2009, 9:25 PM
John, you have a very nice shop....you have inspired me to clean mine up ( one day )

John Keeton
07-26-2009, 9:26 PM
Most everything in my shop could be replaced, with the exception of my Dad’s plane, and this stool. I really do not recall when or where I acquired it. I just know that I have always had it. It is the impromptu stand for spray painting something, my step ladder to get into cabinets, small assembly table, and very simply – part of my existence!
And, finally, some of you may have purchased tools or books from Manny’s Woodworking in Lexington KY. Several years ago, Manny’s used to have calendars that they gave away to customers. Two of those are still in my shop, and just to show that “time stands still” when I go to my shop, here is the Manny’s calendar. Note the date. The pages are turned not for the month, but for a change of scenery Thanks for taking the time to enjoy my world.

Richard Wolf
07-26-2009, 9:28 PM
Great shop John, I'm sure you enjoy working in it.

Richard

Joe Mioux
07-26-2009, 9:40 PM
John great looking shop and your backyard is equally nice!

joe

Cody Colston
07-26-2009, 9:41 PM
Nice shop, John. It's very well organized and it appears you have arranged it to maximize the space. Beautiful scenery out the windows, too. Thanks for sharing.

Mike Heidrick
07-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Beautiful shop John. I also need to build a couple "newly acquired set of planes and handtoosl" till. Thanks for the inspiration. I have the Veritas BU Jack and hope to add the other two as well in August.

Ben Martin
07-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Great looking shop!

Do you know much about your Defiance #3? I bought one off of eBay (not knowing what type of plane, just bought it to restore and get my feet wet) a while back and from what I can tell it is pre-1900. But besides that, I couldn't find much info.

Peter Quinn
07-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Great looking shop John. Did I see a Stanley FAT MAX chisel in your hand tool cabinet? I swear I did, in amongst all the beautiful planes and chisels. I keep that same chisel in my tool box at work. I get some heat every time I pull it out, but some times its just the thing I need. Sorry to focus on that one detail but its good to know I'm not the only one that owns one and keeps it handy!

Enjoy your space and thanks for the pictures, very inspirational.

george wilson
07-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Great shop,John. A clean,well organized place to work,and nice country around it.

Edward Garrett
07-27-2009, 12:46 AM
Wow - that is one great shop you have there John!! Well organized, well layed-out, clean, great tools....quite inspirational!! I might actually need to steal some of you storage ideas....now, if I could just find one of those calendars :D.

John Keeton
07-27-2009, 7:40 AM
Thanks guys, for the comments. Yep, Peter, you have good eyes on that Stanley. It is 1 1/4", and I use it whenever I have rough chopping to do and just need to hog out a bunch of material quickly. Does a good job.

Ben, on the Defiance #3, I "borrowed" this plane from my Dad about 35 years ago. Never got around to returning it, and Dad died died in 1986. I don't guess that qualifies as an inheritance, but I did end up with it:o

Since my entrance into hand tools and sharpening is very recent, for years I thought when I needed to chip/chop/split wood from a board, I picked up Dad's old plane or a hatchet - they both achieved about the same result. I actually got better results with the old drawknife that is on the wall. Dad wasn't a woodworker, and the plane never saw a truly sharp edge until last year.

After seeing several posts by Neanders, particularly by Jim Koepke, on tuning a plane, I set up a scary sharp board, and finally tuned and sharpened that plane. It is a sweet little tool now! That was really my epiphany on planes and sharpening.

From what I understand, Defiance was a cheap Stanley brand, that was marketed as a household tool - which certainly fit the use my Dad made of it. Sort of like the Handyman planes. I am still very limited in my knowledge on these matters, but it appears to be a decent little tool - hardwood tote/knob, and no frills. I was born in '48, and I suspect Dad had the plane before that, as I seem to remember it as a child, but I am really not sure about that. I just know it was there in the early '70's when I "borrowed" it.

Ed, I had four of the calendars, and gave two of them to a friend a few years ago. The other two are highly prized!!

David, I see some of the shop tours on SMC, and I am amazed and envious of all of the tools some woodworkers have. But, even saying that, I really am a minimalist. Over the past year and half, I have replaced and upgraded many of my tools, and I have tried to weed out much of what I am not using. I still have a ways to go. My goal is to have an efficient, well equipped shop, without all the "stuff" I had a tendency to gather over the years. If I am not using it, I am going to get rid of it. I have finally settled into the type of work I want to do, and my tool acquisitions will follow that plan as much as possible - though I notice a strange tendency to buy old planes now:eek::D I have personally blamed Jim Koepke for that - both privately and publicly!;) He has been a wealth of information for me, and I appreciate it.

Don Morris
07-27-2009, 8:22 AM
If only I could...No way do I have a chance to acquire such a great shop like that. Enjoy it and keep us in mind with all the ideas and experience you get that a shop like that can give.

I too have a small red chair almost the same size as yours that my dad made for me. Can't part with it and when I need to think about some design problem, find myself in it in addition to using it as a step stool. As you said...it's a part of me.

Thanks for sharing.

Ben Martin
07-27-2009, 8:39 AM
From what I understand, Defiance was a cheap Stanley brand, that was marketed as a household tool - which certainly fit the use my Dad made of it. Sort of like the Handyman planes. I am still very limited in my knowledge on these matters, but it appears to be a decent little tool - hardwood tote/knob, and no frills. I was born in '48, and I suspect Dad had the plane before that, as I seem to remember it as a child, but I am really not sure about that. I just know it was there in the early '70's when I "borrowed" it.

Great story!

From everything I could find out online, mine is a pre-Stanley Defiance which is the only way I could take a swag at the age. Hopefully I can get it set-up and running one of these days, get my shop set-up is being quite the task in itself.

Tom Godley
07-27-2009, 10:07 AM
Nice shop ......... and view.

The new tool cabinet from the other thread is also first rate.

Thanks for the the photos -- good inspiration

Brent Smith
07-27-2009, 11:12 AM
John, that's a great looking shop. You've inspired me to start a cleaning drive in my messed up excuse for a shop!

Ed Sallee
07-27-2009, 11:21 AM
John, That's a mighty nice looking shop! And, quite productive shop as well... It looks as though you have all the space you need! Sure would like to visit it first hand!

I love the stool.... I think we all have a little something in our shops that are remnants from the past.....

Thanks for the great post! An inspiration to get my shop cleaned up.

Sam Layton
07-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi John,

That is a great looking shop. It is so clean and well organized. I am going out to my shop now and do some cleaning...

Your view in all directions is outstanding. How much land do you have?

Sam

John Keeton
07-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Ed, it was the possibility that you would stop by on your way back from your trip that motivated me to do a good cleaning!! Wish you could have made it, but I do understand the situation.

Sam, we have 68 acres, but it is odd shaped. The bad part of that is we have a lot of different line fences - some of which are not in great shape. We do not raise livestock, but some of the neighbors do. But, the good side of that is we were able to put our home on a ridge, sort of in the middle in order to gain some seclusion. We are at the end of a dead end road anyway, so we encounter virtually no traffic. If someone comes up our 1/4 mile driveway, we either know them, they are lost, or up to no good. I generally greet them with that in mind;);) To say I am cautious would be an understatement.

We have great neighbors - the kind that are there only if you need them. It is quiet and secluded - but only about 2.5 miles from town. God lives just over the ridge:)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Great looking shop John. Looks well organized and maintained. The windows in my shop overlook suburbia. I don't know if I'd get anything done with views like you have.

Justin Cavender
07-27-2009, 7:16 PM
Hey john nice shop guilty of two sins now can you guess what they are?

Stephen Edwards
07-27-2009, 7:39 PM
Nice shop, John! Mine will never be that clean and organized. Seeing yours does give me something to shoot for.

Justin: Lust and coveting?

John Keeton
07-27-2009, 7:41 PM
Thanks, Ken. I admit to being somewhat compulsive about keeping stuff in its place. There is still a lot I want to do in the shop - but isn't that always the case? Half the fun is changing or improving some part of the shop. I still walk around thinking - what can I get rid of?? Of course, I also look at the Lee Valley catalogue and think - what can I buy?? Not very consistent:confused:

On the views, they are calming, and I never take them for granted. But, I am sure some of our creekers in Colorado and other locations could put these views to shame.

Justin, I have far too many of my own sins than to guess yours!! Good thing a gracious and forgiving God doesn't keep count!!

Chris Konikowski
07-27-2009, 7:48 PM
That is what I would like eventually. Land, shop, seclusion...

On another note....are you sure you're not Kenny Rogers? :D

Kelly C. Hanna
07-27-2009, 7:54 PM
Nice shop John! I especially like the view.

Dave Bureau
07-27-2009, 8:07 PM
Very nice shop John, but I must honestly say i don't like it. Its too well organized, too well equiped, too big, and it doesn' have any clutter. It makes guys like me look bad.:D

Prashun Patel
07-27-2009, 8:35 PM
Beautiful shop; something for me to aspire to! I always enjoy your posts, John. Your humility belies your experience and the quality of yr work!

Bruce Page
07-27-2009, 8:45 PM
Wow John, beautiful shop and lovely views all around. I am so jealous of you folks that live in the country! I love your DC system, very well done!
I can easily picture you standing at your bench cutting dovetails.

I’m glad you posted the calendar pic; I spotted it in you second post and was going to ask about it.:p I used to get some nice Snap-On calendars that I wish I had saved. :(

Thanks for the tour….finally!

Scott T Smith
07-27-2009, 9:00 PM
John, that's a great looking shop and your organization is commendable! I hope that one day mine looks half as nice as yours!

Scott

Leo Zick
07-27-2009, 9:05 PM
holy smokes thats alot of room!

John Keeton
07-27-2009, 9:34 PM
On another note....are you sure you're not Kenny Rogers? :DChris, I do get similar comments often, but the observers fail to note that I am considerably shorter, don't have near as many ex-wives, can't sing a lick, and don't have near the money. I guess I should add that I have not been the victim of any facial surgery either:eek: Nowadays, it nearly makes me mad when someone comments on the resemblance:D Man, what a difference a little tuck here and there can make!!

Thanks again, guys, for the comments. Please understand that I did clean up a bit because I was hoping for a visit from Ed Sallee. Everything does have its place, but it isn't always this clean:o

We are all blessed in many different ways, and I try to always keep sight of mine. I see the great shops and beautiful work from other creekers, and I learn so much from all of you. If you find yourself passing through the area, please know you are welcome!

Don Bullock
07-27-2009, 11:21 PM
John, that looks like a very relaxing place to work. It's well organized as well. Judging from the last project you posted that was built in your shop, it's certainly adequate for woodworking. Thanks for posting pictures. I'm always inspired by pictures of people's shops.

Mine is coming along. Hopefully I'll be finished with the major house projects this summer and will be able to get the shop somewhat organized so that I can start working on my tables that are waiting completion. Maybe someday I'll be able to give a shop tour as well.

Andrew Hughes
07-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Looks like a great place to make shavings.Well done!

John Thompson
07-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Been busy and missed this JK. Very nice.. very clean.. very organized and laid out to take advantage of space. I don't know what else to say other than the shop is as good as your very positive attitude about WW and life in general..

Well done and a round of Kudo's as I'm buying... :)

And I might add.. you have room for expansion is you find the need down the road. Most of us can't say that really...

Regards from down the highway on Sherman's March to the Sea...

Mike Cruz
07-28-2009, 8:31 AM
Great shop. Amazing how good, sorry, great organization can make a space look SO big. My shop is a tad bigger (24 X 30) but seems SO cramped. I may have to do some rethinking.

Have you put any thought into some flooring on top of the concrete so your feet, knees, hips, back, and neck won't suffer? Just curious, some people don't mind concrete...it just makes me ache...

Rob Cunningham
07-28-2009, 8:34 AM
Nice looking shop John. Very well organized and clean. My shop hasn't been that clean since I first moved into it.
When do you find time to take care of 68 acres? I have 1 acre and think it's a chore.
I would like to see some more pictures of that calendar though ;)

Chris Konikowski
07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Well, no offense intended. The last sighting of Kenny I have seen was in the movie "6 pack"(great movie). No surgery then I would imagine. And from that 1"x1" pic I see of you I cannot gleem that you are shorter, nor ex-wives, nor singing ability, nor monetary position (aside from some beautiful land, a great shop and what looks like a very nice house in the background.....).
Again, no offense intended...
you got to know when to hold 'em....know when to fold 'em. know when to...... :D:D

Chris, I do get similar comments often, but the observers fail to note that I am considerably shorter, don't have near as many ex-wives, can't sing a lick, and don't have near the money. I guess I should add that I have not been the victim of any facial surgery either:eek: Nowadays, it nearly makes me mad when someone comments on the resemblance:D Man, what a difference a little tuck here and there can make!!

Thanks again, guys, for the comments. Please understand that I did clean up a bit because I was hoping for a visit from Ed Sallee. Everything does have its place, but it isn't always this clean:o

We are all blessed in many different ways, and I try to always keep sight of mine. I see the great shops and beautiful work from other creekers, and I learn so much from all of you. If you find yourself passing through the area, please know you are welcome!

John Keeton
07-28-2009, 12:10 PM
....you got to know when to hold 'em....know when to fold 'em. know when to...... :D:DChris, to carry out that thought, knowing when to "walk away, and .... when to run" has always been a very important consideration!!!!:D And, I was just joking, no offense was taken at all. But, one would have to admit that ol' Kenny just ain't the same since his visit to the surgeon.

Rob, of our 68 acres, we mow about 5-6 for a yard ('scuse me, my wife mows!), we have wildlife habitat of about 17 acres including tree plantings, native grass meadows, etc., about 10 acres of woods, and 35 acres of hay fields. We let a neighbor mow take the hay to keep the fields mowed, and the rest of it just does its thing! It can get to lookoin pretty wooly, but I am OK with that. The wildlife loves it.

Really, other than the occasional fence issue, we do not have much maintenance. I bushhog some areas, and some trails, but that is a minimal effort. I grew up on a farm and had enough of that early on in life, so there will be NO farming done on this acreage.

Mike, the concrete doesn't seem to bother me much. I try to use some foam mats, but honestly, they move around on me, and are an aggravation. I am sure that if I were to be able to spend longer hours, it would be an issue. I hope to have to address that problem in a few short years with retirement!

Roy Wall
07-28-2009, 12:15 PM
John -

You've got a great shop -- I like the dedicated building and a terrific view. I think it helps to enjoy woodworking more when one enjoys their shop, and yours has a terrific 'feel' to it.

Thanks again and be safe....

ROY

tim young
07-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi John, thank you for the tour of your shop. Really apreciated the guided tour. Very nice layout. Tim

Will Blick
07-28-2009, 1:56 PM
John, thanks for sharing the pix! Looks like a very peaceful place to work your craft.....congrats!

gary Zimmel
07-28-2009, 2:13 PM
Sweet looking shop John...

Very well layed out and orginized. And clean. Very very clean......
Thanks for taking the time to take us on the tour.

You may have to have a couple of us over to "mess it up a bit"

Greg Cole
07-28-2009, 2:41 PM
Very nice looking shop John. Clean and organized to say the least.
I will say the view out the back is one of my favorites... just need a little chicory, clover & alfalpha cut in for a mini food plot & maybe some turnip & winter wheat for later in the year. C'mere Mr. Bucky..... ;)

John Keeton
07-28-2009, 3:19 PM
... just need a little chicory, clover & alfalpha cut in for a mini food plot & maybe some turnip & winter wheat for later in the year. C'mere Mr. Bucky..... ;)That is about 100 yds to the north - just behind the house, along with a salt lick and a small pond:D I get some very nice pics on the trail camera, but the deer stand is on the back of the place.

Gary, you know you are welcome anytime!! Bring some of that Canadian aspen with you when you come down.

Will and Roy, I have commented on this in other posts, but I spend my days in a very adversarial setting. I am OK with that, and actually enjoy the challenges. But, it is what I do, not who I am. When I come home, I want to be as far removed from that world as possible - and our home is a sanctuary for us. My wife has her own spaces, as well, and God has blessed us exceedingly with our surroundings. So, for me, while I enjoy the tools, and woodworking generally, my shop is my retreat.

Luciano Burtini
07-28-2009, 5:33 PM
We live in a secluded area, and in the summer, we cannot see other homes from our house. I can see only one farmhouse from my shop.

Sigh! :( I wish.....

Nice shop!

Bud Millis
07-28-2009, 9:56 PM
Wow! Nice shop. I wish my shop looked that good.

Wilbur Pan
07-28-2009, 11:13 PM
On another note....are you sure you're not Kenny Rogers? :D

Chris, I do get similar comments often, but the observers fail to note that I am considerably shorter, don't have near as many ex-wives, can't sing a lick, and don't have near the money.

I've had the pleasure of meeting John in person. He neglects to mention that he is much more handsome than Kenny Rogers. ;)

Nice shop, John! I'm quite jealous of your space and light. My shop can easily fit into your storage area with at least 4' to spare, and is in my basement.

Sam Layton
07-29-2009, 2:02 AM
Hi John,

Thanks for the response, You sure have a great shop and property. It sure must be nice to have some elbow room.

Thanks again, Sam

J. Greg Jones
07-29-2009, 8:49 AM
John, that is one sweet looking shop! I like the view outside the shop also-looks like a familiar landscape. :) Do you mind sharing where in central Kentucky you are located?

Bob Genovesi
07-29-2009, 2:20 PM
John,

A great shop with all the toys, I mean tools, some folks only wish for!! On top of that, no matter where you look you've got a view that's breathtaking...

Not enough O's in Woooooooow!!

Carroll Courtney
07-29-2009, 3:17 PM
Thanks for inviting us into your shop,nicely layed out and lots of nice tools---Thanks Carroll

Todd Young
07-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Hey John, thanks for sharing your shop. Top notch all around. Todd

John Keeton
07-30-2009, 7:24 AM
My shop can easily fit into your storage area with at least 4' to spare, and is in my basement.Wilbur, it ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it is the size of fight in the dog!! I have seen the pics of your shop, but I have also seen the VERY nice tools you have, and some of the fantastic work you can do with them. You need not envy empty space - it accounts for nothing except thoughts of "what else should I buy :o" It is nice "elbow room" as Sam says, but it does nothing to improve quality of work.

Greg, sent you a PM on location - we are nearly neighbors!! Look forward to meeting you sometime.

Bob, Todd and others, thanks again for looking and the nice comments. It always amazes me when I see the traffic "shop tour" threads attract. We all enjoy so much seeing how others do it - and, we all learn something from each creeker that takes the time to post. I know I have - many times.

Don Orr
07-30-2009, 10:11 AM
That'll do nicely John. Thanks for showing us around. Enjoy !

Mike Cruz
08-03-2009, 6:25 PM
So while you guys are talking about views right outside...and hunting...well here are a few shots from inside my house over the last couple of weeks. You may have to zoom in to see the Red Shouldered Hawk. But the 8 point and the two little ones are pretty clear.

John Keeton
08-03-2009, 8:18 PM
Mike, give that buck a couple years and that will be a wall hanger!! Neat pics, and neat surroundings. The hawk looks like he is hunting for supper.

Mike Cruz
08-03-2009, 8:34 PM
Yeah, we actually have 3 bucks that are coming up and depleating our apple trees (along with the 3 does and 3 babies) on a daily basis. We don't mind, though. We love to watch them. I have SO many pics of the deer each year. The little ones just crack us up when they romp around. All three bucks are on the small side. I think they are last year's babies. From what I understand, their racks are genetic. A four point will always be a 4 point...points aren't related to age. These guys need to fill out...they are smaller than the does. But I know they won't make it. There are WAY too many hunters around here...bow, black powder, rifle, bow again, BP again, then another day of rifle around New Years'. They don't stand a chance. The first year we were here, we saw a ton of bucks. This is the first year in 6 that we have seen more than 2 bucks on our property. The last two years, there was a 6 point each year...each year (respectively) they got taken. I'm by all means not against hunting, but I have to say, we get a little attached to these guys. There is one doe that will not move when I walk past her while she is eating apples as long as I don't look up at her. Sometimes, its not even on purpose...I just don't see her there. I know, I've turned into a wuss. The biggest buck taken in MD year was shot in the woods behind my house...I saw him once...10 point at least.

Oh, believe it or not, the pic of the hawk was in the pouring rain! He was sitting there! We love it out here....:) Here's a pic from a couple of years ago. It was my desktop for quite some time.

John Keeton
08-03-2009, 9:23 PM
Mike, a buck does not stay a 4 point, etc. They drop their antlers each year, and they get progressively larger and heavier racks.

Genetics plays a large role in the development of a buck, but normal progression for a healthy deer in good habit (with decent genetic background) would be a "nub" at 6 mos., 4-6 point at 18 mos. (we actually have mostly 8 pointers at 18 mos. here), and then the number of points kind of slows down over the next 3-4 yrs. A 12 point "main frame typical" rack is very unusual, but they are out there!

All kinds of abberations appear that make a deer a "non-typical." If he is injured on his back leg, then often his rack will deform on the opposite side. Same with a testicle injury. Sometimes, if he loses his testicles, or is born with deformed or diminutive testicles, he will never come out of velvet and won't drop his rack.

A healthy buck will get a maximum weight and rack at 6 1/2 years old, and within a year or so start diminishing in size and shape of his antlers. If he is fortunate to make it, by 10-12 yrs, his rack would be much smaller and narly.

There you are - deer 101!!!

Kelly C. Hanna
08-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Gorgeous sights you have their Mike! I would feel the same way if we had bucks and does running through our yard.

Wilbur Pan
08-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Sometimes, if he loses his testicles, or is born with deformed or diminutive testicles, he will never come out of velvet and won't drop his rack.

Too...many...jokes.....must...resist...typing..... . ;)

(Immature, I know, but still funny -- at least I think so. ;))

John Keeton
08-04-2009, 6:41 AM
Too...many...jokes.....must...resist...typing..... . ;)

(Immature, I know, but still funny -- at least I think so. ;))Wilbur, funny only if you weren't the one that hung yours on a barbwire fence:eek::eek::eek: :( :D

Mike Cruz
08-04-2009, 7:25 AM
We only have 3 board fencing, so if a buck got them stuck between the boards, well, maybe we'd be doing him a favor!

Mike Cruz
08-04-2009, 7:50 AM
John, thanks for the antler lesson. I did a little research and found that what I thought was the case was only the abridged version. Apparently, genetics will determine the final outcome of a mature deer's antler (count), but external factors (as you pointed out) will determine what a deer's rack will be from year to year.

Taken from http://www.pabucks.com/deerantlers.html (http://www.pabucks.com/deerantlers.html) :

Disease can cause antler growth to be abnormal. Disease can also permanently restrict potential antler development. Given proper nutrition, age and no injuries or debilitating diseases, it is genetics that determine the final development of a buck’s antlers!
Two deer can be raised together to 7 years of age under excellent nutrition and conditions. One may become a Boone and Crockett deer while the other may only develop into a mediocre 6 or 8 point deer. In this case, the genetic makeup Mother Nature gave them would determine the antler development.

For anyone who wants to read the article, they fully support what John stated earlier about antler point count VS age and development.

Thanks for clearing that up, John. Now, I know better...

Wilbur Pan
08-04-2009, 1:58 PM
Wilbur, funny only if you weren't the one that hung yours on a barbwire fence:eek::eek::eek: :( :D

Of course it's going to be funny if it's not me. I think it was Mel Brooks that explained the difference between funny and sad this way:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."

;)

Mike Cruz
08-04-2009, 5:12 PM
A local comedian in the Baltimore area says it this way:

You, plus tradgedy, minus me, equals hilarious!

John Keeton
08-04-2009, 6:13 PM
This is a KY buck killed by Troy Wilson. The buck was shot in Gallatin County, KY, and there was speculation that it had suffered some injury that caused it to remain in velvet and continually produce antler growth.

Guard those jewels!! No telling what would happen to you, Wilbur, if you were to hang up on a fence:eek:

http://www.american-hunter.com/wp-content/gallery/2007_monster_bucks/medusa_buck.jpg

Mike Cruz
08-04-2009, 7:48 PM
OMG! What are the chances that a buck would stick his head up through your deck...right through a pale!!!!!!!! You don't see THAT every day...

Mike Cruz
08-04-2009, 7:49 PM
Okay, now my REAL reaction to that photo...

I bet that hunter had to wipe his eyes a few times when that strolled along. I'mean, its pretty ugly, dude. I would have aimed my truck at that just to put it out of its missery!

Walt Caza
10-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi John,
I just found your shop tour now.
Sorry I'm late to the party.

I'm envious of your gorgeous workshop and organization!
Such a beautiful locale.

Thanks for giving us a peek,
Keep up the good work,
Walt

ps trying-to-resist-jewel-jokes

Rick Fisher
10-21-2009, 4:33 AM
John.. Great shop.. Some really clever ideas as well.

Love the tilt down table and the hand tool storage..

Lots of other ideas as well.

Its missing something however.. Um... Heaping piles of sawdust and scraps .. :confused:

John Keeton
10-21-2009, 8:02 AM
Thanks, guys! Just noticed that Walt revived this thread!

Rick, after installing my DC system early last spring, I have become somewhat OCD with cleanup. After every shop session, I sweep the floor over to my floor sweep and it is GONE! Really has improved my comfort level (no more blowing walnut dust for two days!) and has encouraged me to stay more organized. Wish I had done it years ago.

Walt, as noted "jewel jokes" are only funny when it is the other guy's jewels!!:D

As to the locale, you may have seen my thread a couple weeks ago, but this was the view out the front of the house and shop two Sundays ago -

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=129842&thumb=1&d=1255279581 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=129842&d=1255279581)

Life is good, and I know I am blessed!

Ken Werner
11-01-2009, 6:28 PM
John, I can't believe that I missed this whole thread!! Wow, what a nice shop you have. Well done, my friend.

Ken

John Keeton
11-01-2009, 8:19 PM
Thanks, Ken!! I was surprised to see the thread revived again.

Kenneth Whiting
11-01-2009, 8:41 PM
Great shop John, I have shop envy. The locale ain't too shabby either.