PDA

View Full Version : Question on Framing Lumber in Northeast

Jim Foster
07-26-2009, 8:20 PM
I went to HD today to see what they have for my benchtop. They had some KD Doug Fir 2x10x8 (not big enough) and some Hemlock Fir in different sizs, up to 2x12x16. The tags indicated it was Kiln Dried, but in among the boards were some that looked just lik Douglas Fir and the tags said sdry, which I thought was not kd. Can anyone shed some light on this. Do Hem Fir and Douglas Fir both have distinct colors or do they cross over in color?

The boards were also #2's, and some had offending knots that would have clearly messed up the top if used, however if I went through the whole pile, I may have been OK. Previously when I special orderd Doug Fir framing lumber my notes indicate it was #1, but I have no clear memory of what was actually delivered, however they were 2x12x26' or 28' long, so... pretty long

Thanks for an info.

Robert Rozaieski
07-27-2009, 7:57 AM
Hem fir is not as stiff or strong as doug fir but it will work if you can get clear lengths. Look at the 16' 2x12s. I've made quite a few shop items from hem fir, like my saw bench, spring pole lathe, shave horse, carving jack and even my first workbench.

Look for the clearest lengths you can find, even going to several different stores and just getting a couple boards from each. Then bring it back to your shop space and let it sit, in the shop space where the bench will live, for at least 2 weeks, preferably a little longer. When you mill it, make sure you mill out any areas where the pith runs through the board. After milling oversized, let it sit again for two or three days. If it's going to move more, it will do so right away. If it moves a lot, I would use another board. If it moves just a little (i.e. able to be clamped where you want it without excessive clamping force), it's probably fine.

What you are most concerned with after the wood has adjusted to your shop environment is internal stress. No amount of equilibration will remove it and if you flatten a board under internal stress, chances are it will move right back within a day or two, if it doesn't happen immediately.

Nate Carey
07-27-2009, 8:28 AM
Lumber grading terms can be mind boggling...this website should shed some light...

http://www2.wwpa.org/WESTERNSPECIES/HemFir/tabid/299/Default.aspx