PDA

View Full Version : Sharing a failure

Harvey Ghesser
07-26-2009, 8:03 PM
I know you guys like pictures.:(

Bernie Weishapl
07-26-2009, 8:04 PM
Harvey join the crowd. Been there, done that. Hate it though when that happens.

Harvey Ghesser
07-26-2009, 8:05 PM
Thanks Bernie,

Tomorrow is another day....

David Christopher
07-26-2009, 8:08 PM
Harvey, that looks like something Ive done too many times

Scott Hackler
07-26-2009, 8:10 PM
Ah that size is nothing. This happens to everyone. Try a broke tenon on a 40 lb monster bowl blank! Only plus was that the shear weight stopped it from flyin up. Gravity was on my side.

Harvey Ghesser
07-26-2009, 8:22 PM
Thanks Dave...I know I need to keep practicing...but it's still disheartening just because of all the work up to that point! I probably should take some lessons from a live person. Videos help but are limited.

Some of the work displayed here is just stunning!

Harv

Steve Schlumpf
07-26-2009, 8:27 PM
Harvey - understand that we have all experienced this and at the same time we are all still learning! It's all part of the learning process and if you stick with it - there will be a point in time where folks will be looking at your work and wonder if they can ever get to that point! Meanwhile - just have fun with it and if you have any questions - ask!

Harvey Ghesser
07-26-2009, 8:28 PM
Ah that size is nothing. This happens to everyone. Try a broke tenon on a 40 lb monster bowl blank! Only plus was that the shear weight stopped it from flyin up. Gravity was on my side.

Hi Scott,

I've bought a bunch of large blanks and they're waiting for me. I'm just being cautious at this point. But when I do finish rough turning a bowl and put it in DNA, I really get a good feeling of accomplishment!

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Harv

Brian Novotny
07-26-2009, 8:28 PM
It's always a bummer, but I use alot of my mistakes as pieces for reverse chucking.

Harvey Ghesser
07-26-2009, 8:33 PM
Thanks Steve,

I have found the people on Sawmill Creek to be extra nice and helpful! I hope someday to be able to return all this kindness I'm receiving from strangers!

Harv

Reed Gray
07-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Waddayamean 'failure', you just aint done with it yet. Looks like a screw mount to me. You could glue the broken part back on with yellow glue, not CA, clamp it up really good for at least over night, and remount, turning carefully and more slowly. You could flatten out that surface and start over again. Flatten the surface and use a glue block to grab with as a tenon. Maybe open up the jaws enough to grab it in them and start over. Lots of ways. I can't count the number of times I have started with a 12 inch blank and ended up with a 6 inch bowl.

robo hippy

Leo Van Der Loo
07-27-2009, 1:01 AM
Harvey as long as you didn't get hurt, that's important, and yes a one on one with a turner or joining a turners club would be the best you could do to get up to speed, you certainly can't blame your machine, nice ;-)))

Richard Madison
07-27-2009, 1:09 AM
Harvey,
Some of us may be a little strange, but don't think of us as strangers. I liked Reed's suggestions to have another go at it.

Harvey Ghesser
07-27-2009, 6:04 AM
Reed,

Thank you! I can do that! Never even thought about trying to fix it.

My next project!

Thank you!

Harv

Jeff Nicol
07-27-2009, 7:43 AM
Harv, It won't be the last thing that you are turning that disapoints you and fails. Like Reed says there is always a way to overcome the failure and still come out a winner! A woodturners best friend is all the glues he keeps on his shelf!

Stick with it and the beautiful art pieces will soon be your reward!

Jeff

Harvey Ghesser
07-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks Jeff, for your words of encouragement and to all a thank you for all your kind words.

I believe I can equate the learning curve to learning how to play a musical instrument. Practice, practice, practice! I would really love to be able to "play the lathe!" and make beautiful turnings! And no, I don't play an instrument (wish I did).

I had an idea where I'd go to my local Lowes, buy a 2X12 or thicker and chop it up into bowl blanks and practice. That would be an inexpensive way to gain time on the lathe and increase my skills.

Thank you all once again!:):)

Harv