PDA

View Full Version : Sanding disc organizers?

Dan Forman
07-26-2009, 5:22 PM
I just got my sanding supplies from Vince, am wondering if there are any cheap, readily available organizers that have been discovered? I'm aware of the tilt-a-bin at CSUSA, anything else that one might find at a Borg or somewhere else locally that would do in a pinch? I'll probably make my own eventually, just want something cheap and effective for now. Thanks

Secondly, what are recommended speeds for sanding on the lathe, both for lathe and drill. I have EVS lathe, so RPM 3's are good, drill is variable too, but slow, med fast will do for it.

Dan

Ray Binnicker
07-26-2009, 5:31 PM
Northern Tools has the tilt-a-bin similar to the one CUSA has.

michael gallagher
07-26-2009, 7:10 PM
Dan-

I use a real high-tech method to organize my sandpaper: I have one of those expandable accordian file folders (made of heavy paper or cardboard) I got from Office Depot for $3.99. I wrote in the grit number right next to the A, B, C, etc.

Not my own unique tip, but I stole it from fellow Creeker Tom hamilton after observing his shop and it works out fine for me.

Hope that helps-

Michael

Bob Vallaster
07-26-2009, 7:25 PM
I keep my 1" disks in film canisters marked with their grit. The transparent ones are handier: you can see your stock getting low. It's been a while since I visited, but...my local film processing place used to have a disposal box for cast-off film canisters; I shamelessly mined it for a stock of the transparent ones.
2" disks fit nicely in the compartments of a Plano model 3700 storage box (14w x 9front-to-rear x 1 3/4d). The box is transparent and sits in a homebuilt case with a half-dozen such boxes for small stuff storage. I mark on the lid of the box the grit of sandpaper in each compartment below. I 've found the Plano boxes at Farm&Fleet, Bass Pro and elsewhere.
The film canisters mentioned above lay down in a compartment of the 3700.
3" disks reside in the round, transparent containers in which Klingspor ships that size; over time I have accumulated enough give every grit its own container. Containers stack in a drawer.

BobV

Richard Madison
07-26-2009, 7:39 PM
Would you believe a row of small nails along the edge of top shelf of shelf unit, one nail for each small plastic sack of each grit. Drills and discs in use are on third shelf down (or up), as well as cord reel for drills. The shelf unit is behind me as I stand at the lathe.

Lathe speed sometimes zero, sometimes 75 to 150 rpm, depending on wood, type of work piece, etc. Drill speed slow to medium.

Joe Bradshaw
07-26-2009, 9:03 PM
Dan, I also get my sanding discs from Vince. I use both the two inch and the three inch. I cut up lengths off 4" clear plastic pipe and turned tops and bottoms for each piece of pipe. I have the pipes in grit sizes from 80 through 400. I made labels for each grit and stuck them on the pipes. I then made two shelves to set them on. They have worked out quite well.

Brian Novotny
07-26-2009, 9:08 PM
build, build, build.....it feels sooo good!

Nathan Hawkes
07-26-2009, 10:15 PM
I used a plano tackle box, and cut out some of the supports with tin snips-(box is plastic-tin snips worked better than wire cutters-more leverage). This allowed me boxes for 60/80 share a space, then 120,150,220,320,400, and 600. I have another one for 2" that I didn't have to modify anything--these are the flat boxes, not the hinged tray
ones.

Reed Gray
07-27-2009, 12:12 AM
You can just keep them in baggies. I took a piece of 3/4 by 8 by about 30 inch long piece of plywood, cut 1/4 inch grooves about 4 inches apartcross ways, ripped the plywood length wise in the middle, cut 45 degree bevels on the rip, glued them together, and put 1/4 inch plywood pieces in the slots. Works well.
robo hippy

Richard Madison
07-27-2009, 1:26 AM
Reed,
Got a picture of it that you can show us?

Michael Mills
07-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Hillshire farms luncheon meat.
It comes in clear containers about 4X5X2.5 deep and has a hinged lid (with a little hook for hanging on one end – perfect for a peg board hook or finishing nail). All of my 2 inch discs are in one, with an alligator clip on each grit. The alligator clip also keeps them flat. If you have lots of disc you may need a container for each one.
Bon appetite.
Oh, if you have a Sorby multi-tip or texturing tool, the little plastic jars bullion comes in is a perfect fit to keep all of the little parts in (various cutters and the allen wrenches).
Mike

Reed Gray
07-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I really need to get the camera in order, and have my daughter show me how to put them in the computer and post. I am lacking in computer knowlege.
robo hippy

Cyril Griesbach
07-27-2009, 7:04 PM
Vince's 3" discs are actually 3 3/8". I use the tilt bins from CSUSA but they have to go in at an angle cuz the bin is only 3". Not the best solution but acceptable.

Bob Bergstrom
07-27-2009, 8:10 PM
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn274/bbergst/IMG_0744.jpg
I found this lazy susan idea on the net some place. It can be built from 2" or 3" pvc pipe. I glued and screwed the pipe around a central pipe. Each pipe had a access slot cut in it. Each of the pipes was the pushed over a 3 1/2 dowel rod. Using a blow torch, outside (pvc pipe gives off toxic gas when heated) Heating the plastic gently will make it relax and fall off the dowel while while retaining the expanded shape. Turned the lids and base with a stub to go inside the center pipe. Each layer will separate to load from the top.Takes up little space and spins to the desired grit.

Dan Forman
07-28-2009, 4:09 AM
Picked up a couple of these for just over $6 each, just the sort of thing I was hoping to find. The lid won't lock on the one for the larger discs, but I think I'll put a velcro closure on it. Just another 1/8" and it would have closed. I'll also put a couple of strips of velcro on the top of each box to hold the working set of discs, so that I can just rip them off the drill an stick them on the box, maybe I'll be able to keep them from getting mixed up that way.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020300.jpg

The one pictured is for the 3 3/8" discs. It's called a Plano Stowaway, 4-15 adjustable compartments. You might notice that I didn't use dividers in the last row, as they don't line up the same due to the space needed for the latches. I guess I didn't use them in the second row either, but I could have, however they are a tight fit. So for the larger discs, not perfect, but workable, ideal for the small discs.

Those are some pretty ingenious shop made systems too!

Dan

Chris Rae
07-28-2009, 9:49 AM
That looks good Dan, where did you find the box?

Dan Forman
07-28-2009, 3:02 PM
We have a discount sporting goods store called "The White Elephant" that has a lot of cheap plastic tackle boxes. Plano is a national brand though, and it shouldn't be hard to come up with this model (#3730)

Here are links to Amazon and Cabella's if you can't find locally.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-Co-3730-StowAway%C2%99/dp/B001447AW2

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0018586010237a&navCount=0&podId=0018586&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=&indexId=&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=plano%20stowaway%204-15&cm_ite=netcon&hasJS=true
Item 3730

Dan

Vince Welch
07-28-2009, 7:03 PM
Hi Dan,

I just got some 6 Bin Holders in and are available. PM me if interested.

Vince