PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron router table extension?

Dave Cav
07-26-2009, 3:55 PM
Is anyone using the Grizzly cast iron router table extension wing for a table saw? The price is attractive, but it doesn't have a number of the features of the Bench Dog or other table saw extension router tables. I would also like to hear any other feedback on the other CI router table extensions from those of you that have them. I recently reconfigured my shop and added a Rockwell HD shaper, and one of the things that went away to make room was my router table built into the side table of my 10" table saw (because I now also have a Delta 12" TS, but that's a different story). Still there are a lot of things that a router table is better at than a shaper, and one built into a TS extension wing sounds ideal.

(I do have the router collets for the shaper, but router bits work better with a 20K rpm router than a 10K rpm shaper.)

Thanks
Dave C

Jason White
07-26-2009, 4:47 PM
Here's how stupid I am!

I bought a Grizzly 1023SLW cabinet saw a few months ago (the one that comes with the router table that you're asking about).

Rather than install the Grizzly router table that came with the saw, I sold it and bolted on a Bench Dog wing that I had kept when I sold my old contractor saw. Within a month, I was regretting selling the Grizzly wing because the Bench Dog just didn't work well on the right side of my cabinet saw. I kept hitting my knuckles on the bevel wheel, the T-square fence would "fall off" the table on the right side, etc. The Bench Dog worked great on my contractor saw, but only because it was on the left side.

Long story short, I sold the Bench Dog and ordered another cast-iron wing from Grizzly. Sure, I wasted some money due to my stupidity, but the Grizzly wing is bigger and I like it much better. It doesn't have the built-in T-track like the Bench Dog did, but I never use a miter gauge when routing anyway. I also like not having to fool around with a router table insert plate. Routers attach to the Grizzly wing with "jam nuts." This works OK, but as soon as I invest in a bigger router, I'm going to drill permanent holes in the cast-iron wing itself for a more permanent installation.

Not sure if this helped you or not, but for me the Grizzly wing is better. For a contractor saw, the Bench Dog might be better (at least it was for me). I do miss the fence that came with the Bench Dog, though. The Grizzly doesn't come with one. You have to make your own.

Good luck!

Jason

Is anyone using the Grizzly cast iron router table extension wing for a table saw? The price is attractive, but it doesn't have a number of the features of the Bench Dog or other table saw extension router tables. I would also like to hear any other feedback on the other CI router table extensions from those of you that have them. I recently reconfigured my shop and added a Rockwell HD shaper, and one of the things that went away to make room was my router table built into the side table of my 10" table saw (because I now also have a Delta 12" TS, but that's a different story). Still there are a lot of things that a router table is better at than a shaper, and one built into a TS extension wing sounds ideal.

(I do have the router collets for the shaper, but router bits work better with a 20K rpm router than a 10K rpm shaper.)

Thanks
Dave C

Dave Cav
07-26-2009, 4:55 PM
Good info, thanks. I was planning on mounting the wing on the left hand side of the saw, as that side is more accessible, and I built and installed a motor cover (like on a Unisaw) on my Grizzly cabinet saw, and it would (probably) interfere with the router if mounted on the right hand side. Would a left hand mount be a problem?

I like the idea of not having a router plate; I am using a big, old PC 1/2" router and it's my dedicated router table machine.

DC

Bob Aquino
07-26-2009, 6:19 PM
Dave
Is this what you are thinking of doing?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nh7rpc89jO0/SXy8ArJV2-I/AAAAAAAAGPU/i9M2DRje48Y/s800/P1030737.JPG

Thats a benchdog wing on a 12/14 but I would think any of the other wings would work as well. The fence is homade out of some 80/20 aluminum extrusion and other parts.

John Keeton
07-26-2009, 6:34 PM
Dave, this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=90392) is my Grizzly router extension wing on a 1023.

Jason White
07-26-2009, 7:07 PM
If you're thinking of attaching a Bench Dog to a Grizzly cabinet saw, keep in mind that the bolt holes don't line up perfectly. You'll need a die-grinder or similar tool to make the holes in the Bench Dog wing a little bigger (or more oblong) in order to get the top of the BD flush with the top of the saw's table.

Jason

Good info, thanks. I was planning on mounting the wing on the left hand side of the saw, as that side is more accessible, and I built and installed a motor cover (like on a Unisaw) on my Grizzly cabinet saw, and it would (probably) interfere with the router if mounted on the right hand side. Would a left hand mount be a problem?

I like the idea of not having a router plate; I am using a big, old PC 1/2" router and it's my dedicated router table machine.

DC

Dave Cav
07-26-2009, 7:21 PM
Looks good, John. I especially like the fence. It's probably the way I'll go except that I'll put it on the left side.

Dave Cav
07-26-2009, 7:24 PM
Bob, that's a very nice setup on your 12" Delta; I have looked at it a number of times; I especially like the way you used the extrusions on the fence. However, at this point I think I'm going to mount the router table on the 10" Grizzly table saw.

Jim Becker
07-27-2009, 9:51 AM
I don't know anything about the Griz offering, but do use a BenchDog. I really like cast iron for this application for smooth operation and minimum vibration.

Jason White
07-27-2009, 1:23 PM
Something else to consider........

If you install the Grizzly router table wing on the left side of your saw, the bevel ground into the wing will be facing the wrong direction. It is specifically "designed" to be mounted on the right side of a G1023. You might also have trouble with the bolt holes not lining up on that side of the saw. Don't know that for a fact, however.

Jason

DC