PDA

View Full Version : Kreg 'Blue Coat' screws OK in PT lumber?

Michael Donahue
07-26-2009, 10:59 AM
I have a few more railings to build and I ran out of the stainless pocket hole screws I used on the first few. I only need a few more screws so I was wondering if I could get away with the coated Kreg screws instead of buying more of the stainless (they're $20 for the small package!). The screws will be totally hidden so I'm not worried about staining, so do you know if these screws will hold up OK?

Thanks!

Bill White
07-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Staining is not the problem. Deterioration of the screw is what you're tryin' to avoid. You can always go with galvanized. Less expensive too.
Bill

David G Baker
07-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I have had problems with galvanized material that comes into contact with pressure treated lumber. It seems to corrode quite quickly. I have had better luck with coated material. Don't know about the coated Kreg screws, never have used them.
Do some serious shopping for stainless fasteners, they are expensive but if you shop you may be able to get them at a better price.

John Jendro
07-26-2009, 11:25 AM
The blue-coat is a ceramic coating to make them more weather resistant then their regular screws, but they don't recommend for use with ACQ-treated lumber. I would get more stainless steel ones.

Michael Donahue
07-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks folks. I was afraid that you'd say to buy more stainless! :D

Jamie Buxton
07-26-2009, 12:46 PM
You can reduce the cost by buying similar-shaped screws from some other source. For instance, http://www.manasquanfasteners.com/decking_screws_panhead offers pan-head stainless screws for something like 30-40% of the price of Kreg-branded screws.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-26-2009, 1:19 PM
I have a deck made from PT that is almost 20 years old.
I uses steel screws with hot dip galv.

Some have rusted away most are holding fine.

Other places I' used the coated deck screws from the borg. They are pretty good.

But Stainless is the way to go. Mc Feely's is the place to get 'em

David G Baker
07-26-2009, 3:19 PM
Mc Feely's have been having quite a few sales lately, you might get on their E-mailling list to keep posted on them.

Ben Franz
07-26-2009, 4:55 PM
I have a deck made from PT that is almost 20 years old.
I uses steel screws with hot dip galv.

Some have rusted away most are holding fine.

Other places I' used the coated deck screws from the borg. They are pretty good.

Older PT wood was treated with CCA which contains arsenic. This was banned a few years ago. Newer PT wood uses ACQ which is not as toxic BUT is much more corrosive to metal. That's why an older PT structure using HD galvanized fasteners and connectors is okay while a much newer ACQ structure might fail in very few years.

Mike Heidrick
07-26-2009, 7:21 PM
I have actually used the Kreg blue coat in PT wood and after a year in my picnic tanle full exposure to the Illinois elements they look great. Top was attached with Menards coated deck screws and they look great as well. YMMV.