PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Box

Michael Stafford
09-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Like many of you I start early getting my wood presents ready. This box is for my daughter-in-law. It is walnut and birdseye maple lined with tan ultrasuede at her request. She does not like the colorful linings that I prefer. It's finished with 5 coats of linseed oil/tung oil/ urethane oil mixture. Then buffed with the Beall pads no compounds. Thanks for looking.

Jon Olson
09-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Great design, and the tan interior is perfect with the wood choices.

Jon

Martin Lutz
09-03-2004, 12:59 PM
I love the inset top. Is the birdseye panel veneer both sides or solid? great work.

Kurt Aebi
09-03-2004, 1:06 PM
That sure is a Thing Of Beauty!

The interior color really fits with th ebox. I too like the brighter, more "normal" colors that you think of - Red, Green and the such, but I must say I have gotten to the point where I let SWMBO pick out the colors now - she does a great job of it. I guess we shouldn't argue woth their choices - they seem to work out fine!

I am working on 3 Jewel boxes for the niece's right now and unfortunately, none are as nice as this one.

Chris Padilla
09-03-2004, 1:59 PM
Man, I just love birdseye maple but it is so darn expensive. Beautiful boxes, BM! :D

Michael Stafford
09-03-2004, 2:54 PM
Martin, it is solid wood floating in a groove. My wife found this wood and some spectacular black cherry at a lumber yard in NC. I am currently working on a tool chest for my son using this special wood.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2004, 3:18 PM
Michael.......I can see a daughter-in-law in love with her father-in-law's talents! Absolutely gorgeous box!

Mike McEniry
09-03-2004, 4:26 PM
Beautiful work! I'm sure she will treasure it!

Mike :)

Mathew Nedeljko
09-03-2004, 5:33 PM
Fantastic box Michael.That is going to be a special Christmas gift I'm sure. I really like the tan interior, it seems to fit with the woods you have choosen in just the right way.

Now I really want to know: how you get your wife to go on Lumber hunting expeditions?:eek:

Michael Stafford
09-03-2004, 8:19 PM
Matt, I'm lucky in that I don't have to get her to go looking for wood she likes to. She found she had an eye for beautiful wood and likes to get it for me. Of course I do have to make things for her. For instance she is a needlpointer and I make small boxes for her to give to her friends with a needlepoint panel in the lid.

Jack Hogoboom
09-03-2004, 9:33 PM
Absolutely beautiful. I love the combination of the walnut and the maple. Since you still have three months, can I have one for Christmas too?

Jack

John Olson
09-03-2004, 11:19 PM
There are going to be a lot of people getting great boxes this year for Christmas. I hope they all know how much work and telent goes into these things, so they knew what great presants they are recieving. Great job, I know what it takes to make boxes like yours.

Jim Ketron
09-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Great Job Michael!!
Love the wood you used!!
Outstanding:eek:
Jim

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Fine looking work Michael. Beautiful wood, design and finish. There is gonna be one happy girl on Christmas this year! NICE STUFF! ;)

Michael Stafford
09-04-2004, 9:09 AM
I don't know how vague my description of needlepoint boxes was so I have a few pics of some my wife and I have collaborated on. Over the years we have made dozens of these as gifts. Soon everyone will have one. They are great for using small pieces of wood. The small square boxes are 4 1/2" square and about 2 1/4" high. The lid stays located with a small brass pin. The larger boxes arejust different versions I included for you to see. Some of my nicer boxes have needlepoint linings in the bottom.