PDA

View Full Version : Outlined dovetail joints

Mark Portier
07-26-2009, 9:51 AM
I have seen quite a few boxes that have outlined dovetail joints. I cant seem to figure out how they are made. Can any one steer me in the right direction?

Doug Shepard
07-26-2009, 10:08 AM
They're usually referred to as double dovetails. There's more than one way to make them but they were really popularized by the Incra jig. Do a google search on Incra double dovetails. There's lots of info but a lot of it is on other WW forms (this one too though) which aren't allowed in links here.

Al Navas
07-26-2009, 10:39 AM
I have seen quite a few boxes that have outlined dovetail joints. I cant seem to figure out how they are made. Can any one steer me in the right direction?
Mark,

These are also known as inlaid dovetails.

What type of dovetail jig do you have? I made the following with a Leigh D4, and posted recently on SMC (http://sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1175390&postcount=11):

http://www.leighjigs.com/data/1171057390.jpg

If you have a Liegh dovetail jig, then you will their procedures at http://www.leighjigs.com/support.php . Enjoy!

David Keller NC
07-26-2009, 10:46 AM

It's actually possible to do this with hand tools only, but you must be very precise in laying out and sawing/chiseling to the line.

I've an incra positioning system, and it's a heck of a lot easier to make these look good with it. One nice thing about the incra is that it isn't a dovetail jig per se - it's a very precise positioning fence for your router table, and it has a lot of other uses other than dovetailing.

alex grams
07-27-2009, 7:56 AM
Has anyone done something similar with the pc 24" omnijig? This is something on my list to try in the future, but I wouldn't be buying another dovetail jig setup just for that one purpose.

Dave Bureau
07-27-2009, 10:39 AM
You can do these in a Leigh Jig

Matt Roth
07-27-2009, 5:59 PM
My PC 4212 Deluxe dovetail jig will do this, too. Just takes a couple different sized bits if I remember.

David Moody
07-28-2009, 5:58 AM
Has anyone done something similar with the pc 24" omnijig? This is something on my list to try in the future, but I wouldn't be buying another dovetail jig setup just for that one purpose.
Yes, you can.

If you go to the DeltaPorterCable web site to:

http://www.deltaportercable.com/common/legacy/jigs/dovetail/SupplementalManual.pdf

This is the advanced manual for their 4212 jig, but the directions will work with the PC Omnijig as well (though you will have to calculate the bit set sizes since the bit designations for the 4212 are different, but the measurements are also in the directions). You are basically cutting a joint inside a joint.

That advanced manual is pretty handy, by the way, even for the PC Omnijig (I have the 24", too). I keep a copy of it in the shop.

Al Navas
08-08-2009, 9:28 AM
You can do these in a Leigh Jig
Dave,

Do you have all of the Isoloc templates?
Do you have a favorite Isoloc template, and if you do, why is it your favorite?
What decision path did you follow to get all the Isoloc templates?

Just curious, as I have also planned on getting them, when the cash till is in better shape. They are quite unique!

Brad Wood
08-08-2009, 10:14 AM
I've got the PC4212 as well, and have scanned the instructions to do this, but haven't decided to take on the challenge yet.

I just needed to comment to Al that this box is outstanding and you have inspired me

Al Navas
08-08-2009, 2:58 PM
Brad,

Please make sure to post your progress, and/or ask any questions you might have. You can see the members are more than willing to contribute, by answering questions! NOTE: If the questions are about anything other than the D4 / D4R, I won't be able to address any questions... :o The D4 is my workhorse.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-08-2009, 9:24 PM

Of course you can. Hell you can do it by hand if you want.

Dave Bureau
08-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Dave,

Do you have all of the Isoloc templates?
Do you have a favorite Isoloc template, and if you do, why is it your favorite?
What decision path did you follow to get all the Isoloc templates?
Just curious, as I have also planned on getting them, when the cash till is in better shape. They are quite unique!

Al:
I have the 2 isoloc templates that are pictured. I kind of like the wave.(the one on the right) just a matter of opinoin which one is better. What ever you like I guess.
Dave