PDA

View Full Version : Carbide Spiral Bits in Leigh FMT

Nick Shepler
07-26-2009, 9:46 AM
Just curious if Leigh FMT owners out there have or are using carbide spiral upcut bits versus high-speed steel (HSS)? My FMT came with the single 5/16" HSS bit which has worked rather well but most of my router bit experience has been with 1/2" shank carbide bits. Leigh is quite proud of their carbide bits for the FMT, specifically the 3/8" ($64) & 1/2" ($79). Their corresponding HSS are $24 & $29 respectively.

This may very well be one of those "you get what you pay for" type of issues probably not being alone, I would imagine most of us would like to save a few dollars. I am not opposed to going with their HSS (I only need the 3/8" & 1/2" bits) but again, carbide is preferred.

OK, with all that said, there are some other brands on the market one of them being MLCS. Both their 3/8" & 1/2" bits are $35 with the primary dimensional differences from Leigh being cutting depth and length on the 1/2" bit. In the HSS brand, Woodcraft carries the Onsrud brand which is a few dollars cheaper than the Leigh variety.

Again, just curious about the opinions and experiences of others out there.

Thanks,
Nick

Stephen Edwards
07-26-2009, 12:04 PM
I can't speak for the Leigh bits. However, I consider the money that I spent on the Whiteside solid carbide spiral bits was money well spent.

I know quite a few folks who are pleased with the MLCS bits, too. I've never tried them.

Nick Shepler
07-26-2009, 5:22 PM
Ahhhh, I totally forgot about Whiteside! Let me give them a look.

Thanks for the reminder.

Nick

Steve knight
07-26-2009, 6:06 PM
Onsrud is about the top brand of bits out there. they are usually the highest price bits too. using carbide endmills can save you some bucks too. I use a loft of these http://www.centuriontools.com/router_bits_toolcase/centurion_tools_showcase.html?cart=124864593214211 222&splashPG=y&__max=6&pageID=1&id2=538&noitems=T&startat=1&--woSECTIONSdatarq=538&--SECTIONSword=ww