PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut bowl & some rework on it.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Turned this bowl green a couple of months ago, finished it, but wasn't to keen on it's look, so I left the tenon on and put it away, picked it up again a couple of weeks ago and reworked it, cut the corners off and had a look, figured it could stand some extra details, so I cut out the 4 openings.
I still haven't taken the tenon off, but I think it is going to stay as is, :rolleyes: I Think :D

What do you think ? :)

David Walser
07-26-2009, 1:35 AM
Leo,

I really like the changes you made. The rounded off wings, with the cut-outs, give the piece a touch of elegance. Well done!

Jeff Nicol
07-26-2009, 5:24 AM
Leo, It is early and my tired old eyes were playing tricks on me at first, when you look at the inside, it gave me the impression of a larger interior! Kind of threw me for a loop when I saw the bottom! Very nice and different, looks like some sort of ceremonial bowl!

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
07-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Wow - what a complete change rounding over the corners makes! As I have come to expect from you Leo - you take what I consider very nice turnings and then change them into pieces that grab your attention! Very nice work on this! Love the cutout embellishments!

Great to see you posting your work again! Hope this means you are getting some time on the lathe again!

Steve Mawson
07-26-2009, 11:17 AM
I like it both ways however I believe that the rounded corners with the cutouts makes it a unique piece. Looks like a keeper on the redesign.

Bernie Weishapl
07-26-2009, 1:06 PM
Redesign made a big difference. I like it Leo. Well done.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-26-2009, 2:07 PM
Leo, Absolutely Amazing!! Beautiful Job.:)

Mike Minto
07-26-2009, 3:07 PM
i had to look 3 or 4 times to tell it wasn't a multi-axis turning - optical illusion! very nice, leo - great piece of work. mike

Leo Van Der Loo
07-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Wow - what a complete change rounding over the corners makes! As I have come to expect from you Leo - you take what I consider very nice turnings and then change them into pieces that grab your attention! Very nice work on this! Love the cutout embellishments!

Great to see you posting your work again! Hope this means you are getting some time on the lathe again!

Steve thanks :D, even though the weather isn't cooperating much, We've been enjoying "summer" had a sister come over from Holland and staying with us for a few days, gone home again after traveling to Vancouver Island and back.
So yes I've/We've been busy, you believe I have cobwebs in the shop :eek: :rolleyes:
Looks like a have a whole lot of split blanks that have sat toooo long :mad:, probably have to make lots of birdhouses and other small stuff ;)

Leo Van Der Loo
07-27-2009, 12:36 AM
I like it both ways however I believe that the rounded corners with the cutouts makes it a unique piece. Looks like a keeper on the redesign.

Thanks for commenting Steve:D

Redesign made a big difference. I like it Leo. Well done.

Thank you Bernie :D

Leo Van Der Loo
07-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Leo,

I really like the changes you made. The rounded off wings, with the cut-outs, give the piece a touch of elegance. Well done!

Thank you David :D

Leo, It is early and my tired old eyes were playing tricks on me at first, when you look at the inside, it gave me the impression of a larger interior! Kind of threw me for a loop when I saw the bottom! Very nice and different, looks like some sort of ceremonial bowl!

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Thanks for commenting Jeff :D, have had that a few times, it would be nice if we could get 3 dimensional views easily, the pictures are really quite restrictive, still much better than was possible only a few years ago, there is hope yet :D

Leo Van Der Loo
07-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Leo, Absolutely Amazing!! Beautiful Job.:)

Thank you for your very kind words Chris :D

Leo Van Der Loo
07-27-2009, 12:49 AM
i had to look 3 or 4 times to tell it wasn't a multi-axis turning - optical illusion! very nice, leo - great piece of work. mike

Thanks Mike, multi -axis did cross my mind very briefly, took the easy way out with saw and sander :D :D

Jarrod McGehee
07-27-2009, 2:04 AM
LEO!!!! great to see you up here again. I like the form of your bowl. A lot of your work is cool as it's not what everyone else is making so I'd say that it works.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-27-2009, 7:10 PM
LEO!!!! great to see you up here again. I like the form of your bowl. A lot of your work is cool as it's not what everyone else is making so I'd say that it works.

Hi Jarrod, thank you :D, I have been in and out "quick ones" but feeling too busy to post, even now there's not much time for turning, getting ready again for another week of camping, hope the weather gods will be smiling on us for a change :rolleyes:

Jarrod McGehee
07-28-2009, 2:13 AM
Hopefully they will Leo. I know your story about lack of time. I have my lathe still sitting in my garage waiting to be used. can you believe it even has some surface rust on it. It acts like another clothesstand for the laundry room. I'll get it going soon though. Just gotta clean out the garage