PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Laser

Fred Morton
07-25-2009, 8:35 PM
Hi everyone,

Not wanting to hijack Gary Conklin's thread, I, like him, have a homemade hollower which I made several years ago and have been improving to a stage where I feel it is now quite usable. My problem lies with the laser itself. I've tried two laser units so far (handheld laser pointers, around $20 each), one with two AAA batteries and the other with three mini 1.5 V batteries. Both types have suffered from short battery life, around a half hour or so, and one failed altogether after a short period. I guess the vibration gets them.

I've persevered with this problem for several years but it's now time to remedy this. At this stage I'm over buying lasers and batteries. Have others had this problem and what works for you?

Will post some pics of my hollowing unit and hollow forms later.
Thanks in advance,

Fredo :)

Steve Schlumpf
07-25-2009, 8:57 PM
Fred - sorry to hear of all your problems with lasers! I have had the Monster system for close to 2 years now and the laser is still working great! It runs on 2 AAA batteries and I can hollow out a lot of forms before I need to change the batteries! Come to think of it, I've used the system a lot during these 2 years and I am on my 4th or 5th set of batteries!

I know you stated you are not going to buy any more lasers - but you may want to check this one out. http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page7.html

Lots of luck! Looking forward to seeing your homemade hollowing system!

Steve Harder
07-25-2009, 9:20 PM
Here's a link to an Ebay laser module for $3.99 - combine it with a cheap 3V DC powersupply from RadioShack and you no longer tied to batteries - it will run forever.

eBay High Brightness 5mw Red Laser, item #120450878192

curtis rosche
07-25-2009, 9:24 PM
you could always buy a high price one that will burn the wood if you dont work quick enough!

Bernie Weishapl
07-25-2009, 9:56 PM
I also have both the monster rigs with lasers. I have had mine for 2 yrs or so and haven't had a dimes worth of problems with it. I use rechargeable's in mine.

Bill Bolen
07-25-2009, 10:27 PM
for my homemade rig I purchased the laser set up from Stan at Elbo tool. No problems in 1 1/2 years. Cost is good too...Bill...

Richard Madison
07-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Batteries? We have to replace the batteries?

But seriously folks, am still using original batteries after a year or more, but I don't use my monster articulated rig a lot and only have the laser turned on when actually aligning or turning wood.

Fred Morton
07-26-2009, 3:39 AM
Steve - the Monster Tool Laser looks like a good thing, but a little expensive for me at the moment. I'll certainly keep it in mind. Thanks.

Steve H - now that has potential and is a good price. I may even be able to modify my laser with a power supply or battery pack. Thanks for the link and idea.

Curtis - can I use it to hollow the inside also? :p

Bernie - that's two votes for the Monster Tool. Thanks.

Bill - that's cheap enough and on my list. Can you use if for an hour or so without it going dull?

Richard - three for the Monster... with batteries.

Here are the pics I promised. First is my hollowing tool, version 4, fairly heavy duty, with preloaded taper roller bearings in both pivot arms and support base (wheel bearing type). Works quite well.

I've also included some hollow forms made using the tool. #2 is quite a large HF, at around 2'6" tall and 15" in diameter. #3 London Plane HF with flutes, 9.5" x 5.5". #4 Ebonised Ash HF 7.5" x 6" on a stand. #5 Ambrosia Maple HF 9" x 5.5"

Thanks for looking.

Fredo :D

Ken George
07-26-2009, 5:11 AM
I am using a ac powered laser from Peter Toch on my McNaughton system for 3 years with no problems. Here is his contact info:
Peter Toch
6565 Fairway View Trail
Roanoke, VA 24018

Phone: (540) 774-4152
<ptoch@adelphia.net>

Alan Trout
07-26-2009, 9:14 AM
Fred, beautiful work! impressive hollowing rig! and nice lathe.

Alan

Fred Morton
07-27-2009, 6:33 AM
Today I modified my laser and fitted a remote battery pack with three AA batteries. I ran it for about two hours with no dulling at all. At this stage I have ordered two of the laser units Steve Harder found on Ebay (thanks Steve). I will set one up with my remote battery pack and see how well it works and lasts. Will post the result after some testing. If that set up is not successful I think the monster laser will be my next purchase.

Thanks gentlemen for your input.
Fredo :)

Steve Schlumpf
07-27-2009, 7:40 AM
Fred - very nice looking hollowing system! Hope you are able to find a laser system that fits your needs!

Outstanding turnings! You should be posting those by themselves so they can get the attention they deserve!! Love them all!

Johnny England
03-17-2011, 10:40 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/image.php?u=53676&dateline=1291686392 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?53676-Tim-Rinehart)
Tim Rinehart (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?53676-Tim-Rinehart)

Laser and battery pack...

Digi-Key (www.digikey.com (http://www.digikey.com/))
Laser- P/N : VLM-650-03-LPT-ND (~$ 9.00)

Battery Holder with Switch-
P/N : SBH-321AS-ND (< $ 1.00)

After getting these two pieces, I used some plastic tubing to run the wires thru...not necessary, but helps keep things neat.

if you need anything else...just PM me. Good luck, it's a pretty nice way to do this and avoids possible expensive batteries with some cheap lasers. I'll go get a pic to attach...self-explanatory on how I mounted it..or at least easier with a pic to go along.
here's the pic...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=169446&d=1291656165&thumb=1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=169446&d=1291656165)

Dug this old post up when I was doing some research on a homemade Snake. Hope it helps. I ordered the laser and battery holder. I was impressed with the size it is small and the battery pack seems well made. Thanks to Tim Rinehart!

Bill Bolen
03-18-2011, 11:37 AM
That is a fine and rugged looking hollowing system. Looks a bit like the well respected "Kobra" system. Outstanding turnings too...Bill...

David E Keller
03-18-2011, 4:43 PM
I've got the monster, and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. Your turnings are quite nice... I hope we'll see more of them.

Geoff Crimmins
03-18-2011, 5:29 PM
Fred, I really like your hollowing tool. The tapered roller bearings sound like the best way to go with this sort of tool. Could you provide any information about how you made it for those of us who might like to make something similar?

Earlier today I e-mailed The Laser Guy asking which of their lasers work best on a hollowing rig. I'll let you know what I learn.

--Geoff

Geoff Crimmins
03-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Hi Fred,

I'm looking to build my first laser guide so I've been exploring what's available. I e-mailed The Laser Guy and they recommend either their ER 47 or ER 57 laser modules. The 47 is better sealed against dust, while the 57 has a double heat sink which will help keep it from overheating when used for long turning sessions. Either module needs to be connected to a 3V power source, either a battery pack or an AC adapter. The latter would of course address your concerns about short battery life. Hope this helps.

--Geoff

Tim Rinehart
03-21-2011, 8:54 AM
Geoff...looks like a great deal from Laser Guy, especially given the adjustable focus. I've been pleased with performance from mine (from digikey), indicated in earlier thread, but may try the ER47. FWIW, my battery pack in my original rig lasted nearly a year before going noticeably dim, and that's perhaps a dozen or so times when hollowing something as well as doing two club demos.