PDA

View Full Version : AARRRGGGHHH! another design change

Tom Sweeney
02-15-2003, 6:25 PM
Well I finally braved the cold for a a couple of hours in the shop today. First time in about 3 weeks.
<p align="center"><font size="4" color="blue"><b>Man I hate cold!</b></font><p>
Anyway - I needed to cut some melamine faced MDF for some kitchen cabinet repairs on a rental property - so I got that done.

I figured I could stand the cold for a while longer so I took out my small 3 sided cherry box I've been working on. I had to trim about a 1/2" off the top of all 3 sides to fix some mistakes - er I mean because I decided to wrap the box in curly maple banding.:rolleyes:

Anyway I got the 2 sides done & re set the fence for the back. I got 1/2 way through & the box rode up on the blade a little (I think I twisted it) - No big deal the blade was only raised about 1/3" - but when I pushed it back down I took a chunk out of the back of the box :eek:

Now I have to do another design change :rolleyes:

I think I have it figured out how I can cover the goof up with more maple.

<p align="center"><font size="3" color="red"><b>I'm blaming the whole thing on the cold <br>It kept me from concentrating enough on my work.</b></font><br><b>That's my story & I'm sticking to it!</b> :rolleyes:<br>
Moral of the story - If something is keeping you from concentrating - maybe you shouldn't work on the project! This post makes it sound more dangerous than it was - There really was no problem from a safety stand point - I never lost control of the box.

Bruce Page
02-15-2003, 7:01 PM
<p align="center"><font size="3" color="red"><b>I'm blaming the whole thing on the cold <br>It kept me from concentrating enough on my work.</b></font><br><b>That's my story & I'm sticking to it!</b> :rolleyes:<br>

Tom, you need to get one of these puppies and work year round!

Tom Sweeney
02-15-2003, 7:49 PM
Where can I find more info on your heater? I just did a google search for sterling heater & didn't find anything. What type of heat? How much$ How heavy is it. My shop is really strange - it's block consrtuction & the ceiling is made of concrete forms about 3' wide so I don't know how I could mount something like that. Plus the ceiling is probably only about 8'. Right now I have a small house kerosene heater & a mid sized electric space heater. Of course the kerosene ran out about 5 minurtes after I started today :(

Bruce Page
02-15-2003, 9:17 PM
Tom, you can find all the info at: http://www.sterlinghvac.com/html/literaturelibrary.asp
It is perfect for my ~500sf garage shop. Model RF045N, 45,000 btu, Natural gas, power-vent, 68lbs. thermostatically controlled – (thermostat not included), flameless ignition. I bought it through a HVAC dealer friend at cost for about $450. I spent another $100 for thermostat & plumbing and installed it myself. I also had the plumbing blessed by my HVAC friend. This is my 3rd winter with it, I wish I’d done it years ago!

John Miliunas
02-15-2003, 10:30 PM
Bruce, though I'm not in the position to get one of those at the moment, if things go well, I might just be in the foreseeable future. How big of a hit did you take on gas consumption?

Bruce Page
02-16-2003, 1:45 AM
John, I've never kept close track of it but I'm guessing $30-40 a month, if I'm out there pretty much every evening & weekends. I was spending more than that on kero and the Sterling dosen't set off the carbon monoxide alarm!

Tom Sweeney
02-16-2003, 9:46 AM
I'll check it out for next winter. Of course looking out my window at all the white stuff coming down - it looks like we've got a ways to go for this winter yet. Possibly a major storm coming - so far I've heard abnything from 6" to 2' nothing like good science eh! :rolleyes: