PDA

View Full Version : TV Sponsors

Jim Rimmer
07-25-2009, 7:48 PM
Was watching Carter Can (Carter Ousterhous) on HGTV today. I like him because he makes nice stuff, doesn't use MDF, and seems to be pretty knowledgeable. Well, today I noticed he was using Festool power tools which got me to thinking. These guys don't use something unless they are paid or it is given to them so do you suppose the folks at Festool think his work/show is of the quality that they want to be associated with it?

I had watched Norm in the early days and even have an episode I taped back in the 80s. Compare that shop to what he has today. :eek: He gets the latest and greatest from just about everyone.

What's your opinion of tool sponsors? :confused:

Rich Neighbarger
07-26-2009, 7:51 AM
It works or they wouldn't advertise in that manner. Besides, who would turn down a shop full of the latest tools that they didn't have to pay for? I don't blame them.

Pat Germain
07-26-2009, 11:35 AM
What? There's a guy on HGTV who actually makes things? I thought everything on HGTV was about buying and selling houses. Seriously.

To what show are you referring, Jim? I must set my DVR.

Steve Rozmiarek
07-26-2009, 2:08 PM
Well, Norm's tools convienced me that I wanted a Delta tablesaw for my first one, so I know it works!

Guess I have no problem with it. Kind of funny to see one of those shows fully stocked with brand new tools, and the camera catches someone using an old beat up good tool of a different brand. Watch for it, it happens...

David G Baker
07-26-2009, 3:01 PM
My opinion, it is the quality of equipment you are born with rather than the quality of tools you can buy. I have watched some of the wood working shows and seen some very interesting demonstrations of wood working equipment and I would love to have some of it but I still think what you are makes more of a difference.
I really miss the how to do it shows they had in the 90's. I would watch hour after hour of those shows and love it. Now I search for This Old House and think it is one of the few left. Didn't know the show that Jim mentioned existed. I will have to keep an eye out for it.

Jim Rimmer
07-26-2009, 3:22 PM
What? There's a guy on HGTV who actually makes things? I thought everything on HGTV was about buying and selling houses. Seriously.

To what show are you referring, Jim? I must set my DVR.
the show is called Carter Can and the lead guy is Carter Ousterhouse (sp?). I catch it on Saturdays. He doesn't show a lot of detail but what he makes seems to be pretty nice. This week he had some slabs of Hardwood (didn't catch what kind) and made a really nice dining table. He also built a desk/secretatry built-in and painted it white.

Yea, he's a little better than the house stagers, real estate agents, and designers that think MDF makes a nice book case. :eek: