PDA

View Full Version : a few more boxes

Jason Clark2
07-25-2009, 7:13 PM
The President's challenge assigned for the Arizona Woodturners Association for the month of August is lidded boxes. I'm using each of the monthly challenges to really push myself and attempt to do something I've never done before. I have 3 things I'm going to try to do for August, this is the first of the 3.

Nested lidded boxes in Burmese Rosewood. All 4 boxes (the smallest one is a faux box and does not open) plus the ring for the largest box to rest on were turned from a single 3X6x6 blank of Burmese Rosewood purchased from Woodcraft.

If I had it to do over again I'd concentrate on making the shapes more similar and I'd work harder trying to make them closer in size (the 2nd largest is quite a bit smaller than the largest one, making it a looser fit than I would have liked).

Comments, critiques, and suggestions are more than welcome.

I'm also posting a couple of photos I took on Thursday night. To keep this turning related I don't get as much turning done during monsoon season as I'd like as I'm out chasing storms 3-4 nights a week. I posted a couple others from earlier this week that were subsequently moved to the Off topic forum. http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=116760

Thanks
Jason

Bill Bolen
07-25-2009, 7:55 PM
Pretty boxes, and lightining too! I really like the form with this wood.You have a great eye for color/design...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
07-25-2009, 8:45 PM
Jason - pretty cool idea for your lidded box challenge! Should get some attention at your next meeting! Looking forward to seeing what your next 2 challenges are!

Great looking storm photos!

Bernie Weishapl
07-25-2009, 9:58 PM
Great looking boxes Jason. Really like the lightening pic's.

Ron Lynch
07-25-2009, 10:39 PM
First of all, nice work. Secondly, how did you get 4.5 boxes out of a single 3x6x6 block? I'm guessing you cut the block into smaller pieces to turn, 'cause I'm also guessing you didn't core the block. But I have been wrong before, so don't keep me in suspense reveal the secret.

Curt Fuller
07-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Those are really nice boxes! And there's just nothing like lightening in the desert!

Jeff Nicol
07-26-2009, 5:28 AM
The boxes are great and the pictures are out of this world! You are a multi talented man!

Jeff

Chris Rae
07-26-2009, 9:46 AM
Beautiful boxes!! The pics are outstanding also, I love pictures of storms. We don't get that kind of lighting storm here, ours are pretty mild, when and if we get them.

Jason Clark2
07-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Ron, The 6X6X3 blank was first but in half to make 2 endgrain blanks each 3X3X6. One of these blanks was turned to make the largest box. The remaining 3X3X6 blank was then cut on a diagonal in order to get more out of the wood. You can get a 2" circle and a 1.4"circle out of a 3" square blank if you do it on a diagonal, using straight cuts you can only get 2" and 1". Each of these pieces is 6" long and should yield 2 boxes.

I may end up redoing this again before the next club meeting as I almost feel like I wasted quite a bit of wood and I learned quite a bit doing this set. I should be able to get 5 or even 6 boxes plus a faux box and a ring stand out of the same sized blank by switching things up a little bit and really trying to maximize the use of the blank.

Jason

Jarrod McGehee
07-27-2009, 2:00 AM
the lightning is great and the boxes are really cool

Pete Jordan
07-27-2009, 8:39 AM
Very impressive, Jason!

I never have any dry wood laying around and am too lazy to glue any up.

The grain is awesome!

Ron Lynch
07-27-2009, 6:10 PM
Well thanks for the info and wood saving tip. Never would have thought of that