PDA

View Full Version : Collet problem

Tony Maio
07-25-2009, 5:20 PM
I used my Milwaukee 5615 to cut a bunch of mortices, and left the bit (1/2 inch shank, 3/8 upcut) in the collet, anticipating more of the same work. Today I decided to use that router to do a table top edge roundover, and I was unable to loosen the collet nut. I've tried WD40, heating the nut slightly, and using more force than I'm comfortable with, with no results. I can try wrenches with longer handles, I suppose, but I'm hoping someone has a better idea. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tony.

P.S. I bought the router in May of this year, and have used it only in the plunge base to cut mortices. I hope I can solve the problem without damaging the bit; it's a CMT with one inch cutting length, and cost half what I paid for the router set.

george wilson
07-25-2009, 5:31 PM
I don't know your model,but some routers pull out the collet when you unscrew the nut a lot. I generally take a stick and give the bit a sharp little whack if it won't come out. Just don't over do it. Whack it,rotate 180 degrees,and whack again. Repeat till it pops out.

pat warner
07-25-2009, 5:32 PM
Put the motor on the bench horizontally, hold with left hand.
Put forged wrench on collet nut with ~1-2" of the end above the bench top.
Strike the end (this is a CC hit) of the wrench with rubber or rawhide mallet.
It may take a couple whacks.

Tony Maio
07-25-2009, 6:21 PM
Bump-a-doodle.

harry strasil
07-25-2009, 7:13 PM
could maybe be a case of over torque installation. Sometimes a strong steady pressure pull on the wrench, then without letting pressure off, give it a good jerk.

george wilson
07-25-2009, 7:56 PM
I totally misread this post!!!

CW McClellan
07-25-2009, 8:01 PM
Are ya turning the nut in the wrong direction?:eek:

Tony Maio
07-26-2009, 6:55 AM
Are ya turning the nut in the wrong direction?:eek:

No. Turning counterclockwise, as with my other routers.

Joe Scharle
07-26-2009, 8:26 AM
With the motor out of the base and lying horizontally (preferably in a shop-built cradle) with the collet on the left: the inside wrench goes down and the outside wrench goes up. If that's what you're doing, then with enough force the collet has to come off; or at least loosen. Otherwise, it must be severely cross-threaded.

Tony Maio
07-26-2009, 10:32 AM
I used the bench vise as a "persuader"; it worked. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Tony