PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly GO555 band saw

Jim Finn
07-25-2009, 1:36 PM
I am setting up my new Grizzly GO555 band saw and find that the rip fence attachement when installed does not seem to fit flush with the table. In fact neither does the fence that comes with the saw. I may have it installed wrong. The fence control end is higher than the table top so that the wood does not rest on the table at the near end. It instead rests on the fence control platform. What have I done wrong? It seems as though the fence guide is mounted too high on the edge of the table. I find only one set of tapped holes to mount it to and no height adjustment. Anyone else have this problem?

Stephen Edwards
07-25-2009, 2:47 PM
Can you take a photo, please? Several from different angles would be even better.

I just looked at my G0555X. It has two sets of mounting holes on the front of the table. On the Grizzly website it shows the G0555 as also having two sets of mounting holes for the fence. Mouse over the appropriate photo on this page to see the larger pic showing the front of the table with fence rails attached:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0555

You'll notice that there's an extra set of holes above the rails. Look on the back side of the front edge of the table where the mounting holes are. Perhaps the bottom set of holes are somehow covered with a paint film. That's all that I can think of unless somehow they got a batch of tables with just one set of mounting holes. Seems unlikely, though.

Stephen Edwards
07-25-2009, 2:58 PM
I just went out and looked again. The top of the fence platform (where the handle is that you lock the fence into position) on mine is just shy of being flush with the table top. As you can see in this photo:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0555/images/1

There's a little piece of spacer metal between the top of that platform and the bottom of the fence. So, the bottom of the fence itself does have a slight gap between it and the table top.

First thing I'd do is remove the fence rails to make sure that you didn't miss the bottom set of mounting holes.

Jim Finn
07-25-2009, 5:13 PM
First thing I'd do is remove the fence rails to make sure that you didn't miss the bottom set of mounting holes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help. I did just that and ,there appeared, lower mounting holes that were not there earlier. Ha ha. I was fooled into assuming it was the top holes that were to be used because the top ones are of the correct size and the lower ones are countersunk into the casting with a much larger countersink.
All fixed now guys... thanks for the help!

Paul Ryan
07-25-2009, 5:21 PM
Jim,

Dont feel bad I think just about everyone that has put that saw together has done the same thing. I remeber putting mine together looking at the holes and thinking whice set do I use. Well I used the wrong set and had the same problem. There have been other posts about the samething too. Great saw you are going to love it. Even though it is a smaller 14" saw it does everything I can ask of it. It comes in so handy the other day I had my table saw set with the dado head on and set up just right, for the rabits I was making. Well I made a mistake and needed to rip a new piece. At first I was like "son of a" then I realized shoot I can just use my band saw and clean up the cut on the jointer, worked like a charm.

Brad Wood
07-25-2009, 9:35 PM
I'm laughing because I did it, and I think I've read three other posts like this since doing it myself... and I've only had the saw a couple months.