PDA

View Full Version : 'K smart guy. Let's see you build this...

Mitchell Andrus
07-25-2009, 10:23 AM
It's a lot easier if you draw it on paper first, y'know... to work out the angles 'n stuff.

Paul Ryan
07-25-2009, 10:43 AM
That makes my head hurt!

John McClanahan
07-25-2009, 10:45 AM
As soon as I get it done, I will post a picture of it! :D

Jim O'Dell
07-25-2009, 11:32 AM
It's a lot easier if you draw it on paper first, y'know... to work out the angles 'n stuff.

Hey Mitchell, let me see your drawing...I think it will help me visualize things. :D Jim.

David DeCristoforo
07-25-2009, 11:36 AM
I've made tons of those. They are a "piece of cake". But, somehow, every time I tried to take a picture of one, the object would not appear in the image!?!? Strange....

PS Thank you M.C. Escher

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-25-2009, 1:07 PM
I've made tons of those. They are a "piece of cake". But, somehow, every time I tried to take a picture of one, the object would not appear in the image!?!? Strange....

PS Thank you M.C. Escher

I had the same problem.

Bruce Page
07-25-2009, 1:10 PM
If you'd let me add a 3rd post...

Joe Scharle
07-25-2009, 1:15 PM
My hippy friends made these all day long in the '60s!

Mitchell Andrus
07-25-2009, 1:35 PM
My hippy friends made these all day long in the '60s!

Mine floated in the middle of the room.

mike holden
07-25-2009, 4:04 PM
I don't know Mitch,
Those look like really sloppy mortices.

Mike (grinnnnnn!)

Was MC Escher a woodworker?

Peter Quinn
07-25-2009, 4:36 PM
Was MC Escher a woodworker?

Heck no, he was clearly an architect. I find many architects are fond of drawing things that can't be built, or creating elevations on paper that won't work in reality. Pretty sure I've been handed a few sets of plans at this point drawn by architects that studied under Escher.:D

Rick Levine
07-25-2009, 5:39 PM
Hey, that looks like the fence around my property; Alice and her Cheshire cat are my neighbors, by the way.

Gary Herrmann
07-25-2009, 6:18 PM
You probably have to buy the Escher mortiser to pull that one off. I think they're on back order.

Rob Price
07-25-2009, 9:14 PM
you just need the right jig, and [insert whatever expensive tool you don't have yet] to get it accomplished, that's what I tell the wife...

Chris Barnett
07-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Looks like a mounting bracket for a tuning fork. Special observation is required for anyone making those.

Rick Levine
07-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Learning how to make this would be a great excuse to buy some new tools!:)

Glen Butler
07-26-2009, 3:29 AM
Heck no, he was clearly an architect. I find many architects are fond of drawing things that can't be built, or creating elevations on paper that won't work in reality. Pretty sure I've been handed a few sets of plans at this point drawn by architects that studied under Escher.:D

Thats funny stuff. I have seen a few of those myself.

David Epperson
07-26-2009, 6:33 AM
You probably have to buy the Escher mortiser to pull that one off. I think they're on back order.
That was my first thought as well. Good thing I read the rest of the thread..I had no idea they were on backorder. :D

Peter Quinn
07-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Thats funny stuff. I have seen a few of those myself.

Its only funny until you try to explain to them WHY it can't be built and they give you the dumb guy stare that says YOU are the problem. Then it gets REALLY funny!:D

I'm surprised modeling programs will allow things that are impossible, but they apparently do.

Bill White
07-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Where are the smart a$$ poster police when you need them?
I've been staring at that pic for the last six hours tryting to scope it out. Now I can't remember who I am.
Bill

David DeCristoforo
07-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Peter, your comments about architects are so true (although not all architects). I remember building one house where there were several different levels. It was very complicated but once the frame was up, the hallway leading from the foyer to the master bedroom site was only four and a half feet tall! The archiflake (who had "studied under" Frank Lloyd Wright) insisted that we had framed the house wrong. In the end, we had to re-frame half the house and it ended up being four feet taller than the plan called for. This caused it to impede the view of the house behind it which resulted in a court order to stop work. What a mess! The archiflake never did admit that he had effed up the plans. While the thing was being argued, we moved to another job and I never did find out how the situation got resolved. But in the mind of the archiflake, we carpenters were the ones that had caused the problem....

Stephen Edwards
07-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Peter, your comments about architects are so true (although not all architects). I remember building one house where there were several different levels. It was very complicated but once the frame was up, the hallway leading from the foyer to the master bedroom site was only four and a half feet tall! The archiflake (who had "studied under" Frank Lloyd Wright) insisted that we had framed the house wrong. In the end, we had to re-frame half the house and it ended up being four feet taller than the plan called for. This caused it to impede the view of the house behind it which resulted in a court order to stop work. What a mess! The archiflake never did admit that he had effed up the plans. While the thing was being argued, we moved to another job and I never did find out how the situation got resolved. But in the mind of the archiflake, we carpenters were the ones that had caused the problem....

The really interesting thing about that situation is that the "proof" that the archiflake made the error was in the plans. Sounds like that archiflake had the same condition that my wife accuses me of having when she is angry and reverts to her native tongue....gai ulo! (hard headed).

Back on topic, I'm certain that I can build this thing. It'll take me a few months to figure out a few details!

Dino Makropoulos
07-26-2009, 12:12 PM
This task is similat to Gordio desmo.
With 2 flexable strips...:rolleyes:

Mitchell Andrus
07-26-2009, 12:43 PM
But in the mind of the archiflake, we carpenters were the ones that had caused the problem....

Similar to a problem I had with an architect/designer...

I was hired to make 23 pictures frames of various sizes. The list was very clear and each frame was to have 3" wide components. 2 pcs. at 12" x 13.5" - 3 pcs. at 16.5" x 12.75", etc.

He had laid out the frames on a virtual wall so they made an attractive layout. The brainiac gave me the OUTSIDE dimensions. Everyone knows you make picture frames based on the dimensions of what's being framed. He didn't even stop to think of that.

The job was pre-paid and well documented. He swallowed the nearly $4,000.00 charge and paid me again to do it over, this time with the dimensions of the photos.

Duh.

David Epperson
07-26-2009, 1:48 PM
Everyone knows ....
That single phrase has caused more issues than any other I know of.

I once had the job of designing a fairly involved multiple conveyor plate steel handling project. The spec had 24" for the height, plans were drawn, and approved by the Customer. It wasn't until installation that it was discovered that it "should have been" 2'-4" and the foot mark was not printed on the fax. The retrofit was much harder than the original job...And I certainly could have used the extra 4" in figuring out the original design.