PDA

View Full Version : paVpal email spam FYI

Jim McFarland
07-24-2009, 11:00 PM
I've received 2 emails recently from what looks at 1st to be Paypal. Gmail dropped it in my spam folder -- took me a second to see it was from something at paVpal.com. I deleted both without opening but I'm sure I would not have benefitted from either!

Posting just as a FYI to make sure Paypal emails are really from Paypal!

David G Baker
07-24-2009, 11:36 PM
I got one tonight from PayPal, it was a policy change notification. I read the E-mail and delete it. If I think it really is from PayPal I go to their site by going to the actual site.

Jim McFarland
07-25-2009, 1:02 AM
Woops, read Paypal's info and they suggest sending suspicious phishing emails to spoof@paypal.com so I'll do that next time.

Tom Hintz
07-25-2009, 2:19 AM
I get similar emails that use all of the major credit card names/logos as well as banks and other financial institutions. These hackers will get around to anybodys name that they think they can use to get people to provide the information they want to rip you off. Sometimes the get lucky and send one to somebody who actually uses the financial institution they are mimicing. The advice of going to the companies web site yourself rather than through any links in email is the best.

Steve Leverich
07-25-2009, 3:49 AM
Got one a few months ago, the url was "paypalusa.com" - sent it to their spoof guys also. Had 'em (supposedly) from western union, citibank, etc. You can never be too careful... Steve

Dave Wagner
07-25-2009, 7:46 AM
Same here, get them all the time, a good indication is they usually start with "Dear Member", instead of your real name, also, they spoof "You sent a Payment sent To, to dispute this click here", yes, just be aware of these Spoof emails.....many people get burned. Also, don't open ANY attachments or click any link if you don't know what they are. EVEN the links can install viruses or give them total access to your computer.

David G Baker
07-25-2009, 9:34 AM
The E-mail I received had my full name on the Dear line. I do not trust any commercial E-mail that requests that I contact them. I delete the E-mail and go directly to the site if I am interested. So far this has worked for me.