PDA

View Full Version : Best way to sell off a full shop?

Kev Godwin
07-24-2009, 10:40 PM
A very good friend of mine is going to be selling all of his woodworking tools and equipment in a little less than a year. He has an extensive collection and shop that most woodworkers never achieve in the hobby. He is selling in preparation to retire in 2 years and then take off on some world travel and retain only a simple apartment to retreat to. (I fortunately get to be the first custormer!) Here is the question....

What would be his best avenue or means to sell it all for his best benefit? ebay? Craiglist? Auction? Advertised sale? Sale by invitation? Etc.?

He is not a current member of the Creek but I have offered to possibly help him sell. Maybe he would be better joining to arrange for sale here?

Any advice for this woodworker hanging up his shop apron is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Kev

(I didn't know the best forum to post this. If the Moderators think this would be better in another location, please move this post. Thank you!)

sean m. titmas
07-24-2009, 11:44 PM
sounds like quite a find! im jealous.
craigslist is ok for selling and buying some things but i think ebay attracts a larger audience with more money to spend. plus ebay has the ability to sell for higher $ by way of bidding.

there are also web communities who buy and sell specific items like vintage woodworking machinery( www.owwm.com), vintage hand tools, etc. try doing a google search for these communities.

Steve Rozmiarek
07-24-2009, 11:53 PM
List it here in the classifieds. The folks here actually understand what good tools are worth.

Michael Weber
07-25-2009, 1:23 AM
I vote for a well advertised auction "for woodworkers" by one of your local auction houses. Have it in the shop where the tools are.

Brad Wood
07-25-2009, 9:32 AM
I agree that ebay has a larger audience and potential buyer pool, but when it comes to the sort of stuff we have in our shops/garages, shipping becomes a real issue "local pickup only" reduces that buyer pool back down to the local audience.

sean m. titmas
07-25-2009, 1:36 PM
I agree that ebay has a larger audience and potential buyer pool, but when it comes to the sort of stuff we have in our shops/garages, shipping becomes a real issue "local pickup only" reduces that buyer pool back down to the local audience.

despite your point i have even bought tools online and paid a hundred dollars or two for shipping but thats because i really wanted the tool.

ebay is a good source for advertising your goods even if you only sell to the local market because it has the ability to instantly reach all of your market. and depending on the size of your local market you could do really well just selling to them.

Jamie Buxton
07-25-2009, 4:09 PM
Occasionally I see people trying to sell a full shop as one purchase, and refusing to sell it piece by piece. That's a mistake. There's very few buyers for a complete shop -- except for dealers who plan on buying cheap and then selling it piece by piece. So to maximize his gain, your friend should expect to be involved in selling. Craigslist would be my first choice -- no shipping hassles. SMC and Ebay reach a nationwide audience, but involve more work.

Craig D Peltier
07-25-2009, 4:55 PM
I agree he should break it down by piece. Try to sell it as a whole until he doesnt want to wait any longer.
I think Craigslist and and advertised garage sale for his shop in newspaper and on craigslist should bring plenty of buyers.
I know around here it does. Entire shops are tough unless its a great deal and someone savvy enough wants to buy it all and resell seperately.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Maybe a shot gun approach would be best The Craigslist the E bay and the Creek?