PDA

View Full Version : Elm Gloat

Christopher Fletcher
07-24-2009, 9:23 PM
Well, Jarrod and I drove about an hour to fell a half-dead Elm. The tree had been scorched by a recent fire and lost it's crown a few months back. The owner wanted it gone and we were happy to oblige. Upon further inspection, this tree had two trunks that had grown into one. Lot's of crotch pieces!

Steve Schlumpf
07-24-2009, 9:28 PM
Christopher - congrats on getting all that Elm! The larger chunks in the second photo show a lot of promise! Have fun turning!

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Congrats on a great bunch of Elm. Lots of turning there.

alex carey
07-25-2009, 7:34 AM
Congrats on the wood find, certainly sounds like you guys had a good time. If you two ever drive further north you know how to talk to.

Jarrod McGehee
07-25-2009, 3:26 PM
Alex, we'll give you a call if we're gonna head up that way. maybe you could get us some of that green wood your buddy's dad can get you.

And on another note, that wood smells TERRIBLE!!!! like horse crap:o

Christopher Fletcher
07-26-2009, 1:29 PM
Thanks Steve, the three "larger" blanks are actually a couple of the smaller blanks. The first picture actually has all the big blanks. Use the OJ container on the floor next to the blanks as a reference, it is a gallon size container. The crotch pieces had to be smaller just by nature of all the waste around the stump. In any case I'm really going to be pushing the limits of my lathe with those larger pieces, so I'll probably wait on those until after the wedding next month. (I plan to get myself a little wedding present with a 16" swing :-)

Jarrod McGehee
07-27-2009, 1:29 AM
Chris I told you that you could come to my school and use our little lathe with a 40" swing!

Christopher Fletcher
07-27-2009, 3:27 AM
I'll have to take you up on that soon then!

Jarrod McGehee
07-27-2009, 1:33 PM
ha you will. I go back to school the end of next month.