PDA

View Full Version : plunge router

Paul Dombroski
07-24-2009, 8:33 PM
Can anyone recommend a good plunge router for the Lee Valley Veritas router table? 3 1/4 hp with 1/2" collet. I am looking for a plunge router not one of the kits that are on the market today with fixed and plunge capabilites.
Thanks in advance

Peter Quinn
07-24-2009, 9:12 PM
I have a bosch that I am quite happy with. I bought it several years ago to put in a table but have only used it freehand. I am waiting for my old Ryobi (pre-Borg) to die but it just keeps on going. It works well freehand and has plenty of smooth power.

Tom Cross
07-24-2009, 9:52 PM
I suggest you use instead the Milwaukee 5625-20 fixed base router. I have used Makita and Hitachi plunge routers and the Milwaukee 5625-20 fixed base router in a router table. The Milwaukee is far superior - venier height adjustment, two wrench bit changes, rock solid colletts, variable speed, power to spare, etc. See www.patwarner.com (http://www.patwarner.com) for a nice discussion about various routers for router tables.

Bob Carreiro
07-25-2009, 12:38 AM
I own the Triton 3-1/4 HP for my Rockler table. It raises bits above the table for bit changes and locking the collet automatically, only uses one wrench to do it! I t is variable speed and a soft start for, and get this, $219 (Woodcraft)! This last week end I installed Router Technologies, "Router Raizer" (Model RZ 200) for above table bit height adjustments selling for $90 bucks (Peachtree). This is as good as it gets for as good as it gets.

Good luck!
Bob

glenn bradley
07-25-2009, 1:03 AM
I know you asked for a plunge body but, as you will have it in the table I second the Mil 5625. I love mine. The Veritas table is a little different as you need to drill your hole for height adjustment in the table as opposed to a plate that can be replaced so that may factor in as to the best router choice.