PDA

View Full Version : a few new toys

David Christopher
07-24-2009, 8:30 PM
we went on vacation and drove all over the country. stoped at a woodcraft and got a few new toys. Im new at the cordless thing but yall have made me want to try this, soooooo these should get me started.....they have been in the truck for over a week and I couldnt wait to get home to try them...I took the plane out of the box and gave it a push or two and man I cant believe how good it works, I cant imagine how good it will work then it is honed...I also got some wood river chisels, dont know how good they are but look OK to me. and also got a sharpening jig. hope to make something soon

Jerry Gerard
07-24-2009, 8:45 PM
Nice little score you made , enjoy them .

gary Zimmel
07-24-2009, 9:29 PM
Congrats on the new toys David.

Be aware though they have a nasty habit of multiplying on there own.....
For your wallets sake keep a close eye on them.

Welcome to the new slippery slope!

John Keeton
07-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Congrats David, on the tools. Just noticed that narly, ugly looking board in the pic. You don't want to put that in a project. Let me PM my address to you, and help you get that out of your shop;)

David Christopher
07-24-2009, 11:00 PM
John, thats a piece of redwood burl that I picked up in california a few days ago.....I was asking the guy about a piece of redwood to turn...he said he didnt have anything but this and gave it to me.....a little further up the coast I found another piece 10" X 10" X 4'. also picked up a piece of cotton wood

Jim Koepke
07-25-2009, 1:37 AM
My wife has all kinds of redwood burls she has bought over the years. She has made clocks with them.

I am afraid she knows everyone of them. Maybe though I might be able to sneak a few of them off to the lathe.

jim

John Keeton
07-25-2009, 6:57 AM
OK David, you twisted my arm! I will pay the shipping - IF you throw in the big piece, too:D

If the 10x10 looks as good as the other, that is one nice haul. Interesting comment on the cottonwood. In KY, we have the swamp cottonwood, and the Eastern cottonwood - both native trees. Wonder if what you got is a different animal?

I am jealous of you guys getting some of that western wood. Not owning a lathe, I would be compelled to resaw the 10x10 into book matched panels!! That thought probably makes you nauseous, but that would make for some beautiful stuff.

BTW, is that a 60 1/2 low angle?

Bill Houghton
07-25-2009, 9:13 AM
Be aware though they have a nasty habit of multiplying on there own....

If only they did multiply on their own! It's their insistence on really expensive weddings that drains the wallet!

David Christopher
07-25-2009, 5:16 PM
OK David, you twisted my arm! I will pay the shipping - IF you throw in the big piece, too:D

If the 10x10 looks as good as the other, that is one nice haul. Interesting comment on the cottonwood. In KY, we have the swamp cottonwood, and the Eastern cottonwood - both native trees. Wonder if what you got is a different animal?

I am jealous of you guys getting some of that western wood. Not owning a lathe, I would be compelled to resaw the 10x10 into book matched panels!! That thought probably makes you nauseous, but that would make for some beautiful stuff.

BTW, is that a 60 1/2 low angle?

John, the 10 X 10 looks allmost as good as the small piece (not quite as many swirls) and yes the plane is a low angle. I figuared that with another blade it would be the same as a standard angle. so it would be like two in one