PDA

View Full Version : Battery Problems with My Triton Respirator

Michael Armstrong
07-24-2009, 7:58 PM
I've struggled the last while with my Triton Respirator. Batteries don't hold a charge for long and then it gets noisy and hot. I'm thinking of swapping out the factory D cells for some Titanium 12000 mAh 1.2 V ones from batteryjunction.com and purchasing a smart charger (smart RC rechargeable battery pack charger for 1.2V-14.4V). i should get much longer running time and better performance. This seems like a less expensive option than buying a new respirator. Any thoughts on the idea? Can I make this charger work so that the cells can be recharged in the unit just like normal?

The last time I contacted Triton they just sold me a refurbished power unit and it hasn't lasted long either. Their website doesn't make it look like they have changed anything as far as the batteries and charger are concerned.

Thanks
Michael

Gary Max
07-24-2009, 8:45 PM
Heck I would call them back and start over. You paid good money for that and should not have to keep doing this.:D

Ryan Baker
07-24-2009, 10:12 PM
I'd say go for it. You will get much better performance out of an aftermarket battery upgrade.

I doubt you will get anything better out of Trend. Last I heard they had shut down. Supposedly someone else was going to take over the product line (can't remember who it was now, but there is a thread here about it).

Ken Vonk
07-24-2009, 10:18 PM
My first battery pack wasn't soldered very well and I had similar problems. I called them and they replace it with a new battery pack unit. Since they didn't wan't the original back, I soldered that one together and it has worked great since.

Ken

Michael Armstrong
07-25-2009, 8:08 PM
Thanks Ken. I discovered something new today about the one really noisy power module. The motor in it has a lot of play where the shaft comes through and gets attached to the fan. I'm thinking if I can find a new motor of the right size and put in some new batteries that things should be okay. Also found out that Malcolm Zander, an Ottawa turner has adapted his Triton so it runs from a fan in another room. No problem then with filters etc.

Michael

Jason Abel
08-01-2009, 2:26 PM
I've struggled the last while with my Triton Respirator. Batteries don't hold a charge for long and then it gets noisy and hot. I'm thinking of swapping out the factory D cells for some Titanium 12000 mAh 1.2 V ones from batteryjunction.com and purchasing a smart charger (smart RC rechargeable battery pack charger for 1.2V-14.4V). i should get much longer running time and better performance. This seems like a less expensive option than buying a new respirator. Any thoughts on the idea? Can I make this charger work so that the cells can be recharged in the unit just like normal?

The last time I contacted Triton they just sold me a refurbished power unit and it hasn't lasted long either. Their website doesn't make it look like they have changed anything as far as the batteries and charger are concerned.

I would stay away from the Titanium batteries. They way over rate their cells. In other words the 12000mAh cells may really be 8000mAh. We got some samples and were very disappointed. I'd recommend purchasing Sanyo cells or purchase cells from a place that does battery rebuilding where the techs now what quality the batteries are so you know what your getting.

Michael Armstrong
08-01-2009, 3:43 PM
Thanks for the info Jason. That's good to know.

I also discovered that the sleeve bearing for the motor has worn out. The company handling Triton now wants $18.75 for the motor and won't have any parts until at least October.

I'm investigating other options now. It doesn't seem to be easy locating retailers of the Trend shields here in Ontario so if anyone Knows a good source and has a recommendation between the 2 models that would be appreciated.

Michael