PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening

Gary Simmons
07-24-2009, 5:36 PM
having a tough time getting my tools sharpened correctly. Made a jig with plans I purchased off you tube, which gives me some correct angles, (same concept as Wolverine or onway jigs) however they still are not right. Recently saw a Demo and the turner sharpened all his gouges with a bench top belt sander. He swears by it and says he would never go back to a wheel. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on that?

Dennis Ford
07-24-2009, 6:41 PM
I have tried using a belt sander and it works, I prefer a grinder. I believe that you can learn to use either and once that happens, you may not want to switch. If I had only a grinder or only a belt sander, I would not buy the other just for sharpening.

Keith Spaniel
07-24-2009, 10:18 PM
I use a belt sander. I dont have to flatten the stone and fill the shop with dust. I have many different belts. they are cheap and leave a smooth edge.
I really like sorbys belt sander. I am trying to make one similar to his.Its just to much money for a tite wad like me, It is worth the money though, it is built like a ship
I have the bench grinder set up , i just like the belt sander better. if interested will post a photo of my cheap-o belt sander set up. keith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3A6qe7WBXU

Richard Madison
07-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Gary,
Have made a couple of the "varigrind" style jigs for sharpening bowl gouges. Found that the various suggested dimensions did not work for me at all. Since the leg length and angle are fixed on my jigs, I found that experimenting with the distance (from the wheel) and height of the pivot point, and the length of gouge extended from the jig made it possible to get the desired grind. This includes replicating the grind of an Ellsworth signature gouge (which I don't like and never use). Having found the "correct" height, it remains set there. Having found the "correct" distance to extend each gouge from the jig, I mark it on the gouge with a felt tip marker. And some more like that. Sorry I can't help with the belt sander deal, but many folks find it an excellent way to sharpen.

Gary Simmons
07-25-2009, 8:36 AM
thanks for the replies... Keith I would like to see that photo...thanks

Keith Spaniel
07-25-2009, 1:56 PM
here's the picts of the belt sharpener;

Mike Minto
07-26-2009, 9:13 AM
hey, a shop-made pro edge - too cool!

Norm Zax
07-26-2009, 9:45 AM
People swear by one of two methods, though I suspect more than 80% go with the wheel. The sharpener really doesnt need dressing but its disadvantage is in its inability to produce a rounded surface, creating two points of contact which are very useful while honing or resharpening. Other than that I think both methods have their merit, though Ive always used only the wheel.
Keith - a side pic would be appreciated as well. Do you have support under the sanding paper?

Keith Spaniel
07-27-2009, 9:49 PM
Norm,
I do have support behind the belt.