PDA

View Full Version : Pricing threads

Dan Forman
07-24-2009, 5:04 PM
Granted that there are many factors in pricing, such as skill of the turner, type of wood, figured or plain, level of detail, name recognition, region, as well as differences in overhead, production vs hobbyist, cost of materials, etc., I still wonder why folks go to such great lengths to avoid saying what they actually charge for a bowl?

In the most recent thread, there were many helpful suggestions to see what others are charging, but not one direct "I live in an economically depressed area, do this for a hobby and don't depend on the income, so I charge about xx$ for a plain eight inch walnut bowl" type response. One wonders if perhaps a method of selling has evolved among turners in which the price is not actually revealed to a customer. ;)

I think most of us are capable, given the above parameters (and any I've missed), to figure out where our own work should fall in a price range, and if not, the market will tell us. We do need to take into account most of the factors usually mentioned about how to set a price that works for our own individual situation. It would be helpful, however, to know the range that other's are successfully working in, which could be used as a rough guideline, factoring in the previously mentioned variables, which is, I think, the reason for starting such threads. After all, checking out the show's competition, or other websites, won't tell one whether those pieces are actually selling, or are just wishful thinking on the seller's part.

Any comments?

Dan

Jeff Nicol
07-24-2009, 6:37 PM
Dan,

It seems to me that I always say what I sell my stuff for, I am in Wisconsin and the folks here are pretty down to earth and they really appreciate hand made items. Lots of German, Norweigen, Polish, Swedes, Amish, and others who have crafty woodworking backgrounds. Here when someone likes it they pretty much buy it if the price is not out of this world! I can't speak for any one else as what I make is what I sell, I see others who try and sell things that are not the same quality for more money and they don't sell much. You can't come right out and tell someone that their work is subpar and that is why it won't sell, and you can't get them to believe anything they don't want to. I never blow my own horn, but I won't put it out to sell if I am not completly satisfied with the form and finish. Finish being the most imoportant thing of all, if you turn the best piece of wood in the world but it is full of tool and sanding marks and the finish has runs, sags, nibs, brush strokes etc. the piece will never be the best it can be. So for each person they need to do some foot work and see what people are buying and what they are not. Talk to other turners in you local area and see what has done well for them, but you can't compete with them with the same thing unless it is better or cheaper.

I sell pens for $20-$35, small lidded boxes for $18-$40 (sizing), bowls from $10-$100 size,wood, etc. Hollow forms from $20-$300 again size, style, wood add to cost. Each piece will sell itself if it is what the buyer wants, but that buyer has to be in the room, I also talk to everyone who shows interest and explain everything and answer every question and I think that will sell things better than anything else.

Good luck,

Jeff :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2009, 8:59 PM
Dan I agree with Jeff and am pretty much in line with his prices. My pens depends on the what kit I use. They can go up to $90. When I first started selling I went around at craft fairs, galleries, etc. and just got a idea of what prices others were selling. Some turnings were really good and others well lets just say I wouldn't buy them. I will never talk about others or talk down about them. Worst thing you can do and as Jeff says you can't tell them what they don't want to hear. I have seen some with tool marks, sanding marks and the finish was awful. They couldn't sell bowls for $10. I will tell you that things are not selling as well as they did and it is because of the economy. Things are fairly depressed here.

Brian Novotny
07-24-2009, 9:26 PM
If I made a tool out of a tap, would that work for threaded boxes?

Curt Fuller
07-24-2009, 11:13 PM
I had to smile while reading your post because I've wondered the same thing so many times myself. I sold a HF earlier this year at a charity benefit auction for $330. I've honestly never sold another HF so if I ever do I hope they all bring that price. The sale price was all donated. I've sold a few other pieces that were donated for fundraising type events and most have sold for more than I expected. I think people are much more generous when they're donating to a cause they support and also able to write it off their taxes. But the one and only thing that I can consistently sell every year between Nov 1 and Christmas is turned ornaments. I sell all of these I can make usually and as my quality has gotten better so has my selling price. I sold them last holiday season for $25 on average. There are a couple examples in my photo gallery of the type ornament I sell http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=7 Other than that, everything else in the gallery has either been given as a gift or is sitting somewhere in my house.

Richard Madison
07-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Dan,
Some very helpful information has been posted above. Part of the problem is the large number of variables, as has been mentioned. Another part is that few if any woodturnings are exactly alike, even with same wood and finish quality, and so might be priced differently. The opposite situation might be the price of gasoline. Every gallon is essentially identical to every other gallon, so it is easy to know that the price should be $x.xx per gallon at a given time in a given area. Not so with wood turnings. A piece that sold for $168 in Wimberely might easily bring $250 in a more populous and upscale market, perhaps more if anyone had ever heard of the turner.

Dan Forman
07-25-2009, 3:27 AM
I completely agree with all that has been said, particularly about telling someone else what their work might actually be worth - fraught with peril that is, unless they are seriously undercharging, and the regional prices are known.

I didn't mean to be pointing a finger at anyone in particular, and to be fair, Scott was asking about a particular pen to price, not bowls, and there may not be that many pen sellers on this forum. My memory might be suspect about past pricing threads on this forum as well, so I hope my post didn't ruffle any feathers out there. :o

This has been a public service announcement, you will now be returned to your regularly scheduled program...

Dan

Jeff Nicol
07-25-2009, 5:41 AM
I completely agree with all that has been said, particularly about telling someone else what their work might actually be worth - fraught with peril that is, unless they are seriously undercharging, and the regional prices are known.

I didn't mean to be pointing a finger at anyone in particular, and to be fair, Scott was asking about a particular pen to price, not bowls, and there may not be that many pen sellers on this forum. My memory might be suspect about past pricing threads on this forum as well, so I hope my post didn't ruffle any feathers out there. :o

This has been a public service announcement, you will now be returned to your regularly scheduled program...

Dan
Dan, I don't think any feathers got ruffled, we just try and help. Lots of answers and like said above, lots of variables. In life there are things that make us happy, make us sad, tick us off, give us pause and many other feelings and thoughts. The one thing that does all of these is the truth, like has been said, some don't want to hear the truth or can't handle it. Sort of like some of the "American Idol" contestents, somebody tells them they are the next great thing and keeps telling them that, when it is the farthest from the truth. Then we get to see them embarrass themselves on national TV during the tryout shows, funny for us painful to them. The truth hurts and we all have experienced a painful truth in our lives and will again, we have to move forward and learn from it or slump our shoulders and concede defeat. I have chose always to learn and become renewed in my efforts to attain a higher level in what ever I have learned.

Go forward and learn something new everyday!

Have a great day all!

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
07-25-2009, 5:45 AM
If I made a tool out of a tap, would that work for threaded boxes?
Brian, Wrong "THREAD" question here. Dan was pertaining to other threads on the foruum about "PRICING". But to answer your question, there are a couple of small tutorials from others out on the web that show how to do what you have asked. Some grind the tap away and leave one flute or they take a part of a 4pc die set and use that to create a thread chaser. You should be able to find it pretty quickif you do some searching.

Jeff

Dan Forman
07-25-2009, 2:55 PM
In life there are things that make us happy, make us sad, tick us off, give us pause and many other feelings and thoughts. The one thing that does all of these is the truth... The truth hurts and we all have experienced a painful truth in our lives and will again, we have to move forward and learn from it or slump our shoulders and concede defeat. Jeff

Boy, ain't that the truth!

Oooops, what I meant was...:D

Dan

Jeff Nicol
07-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Boy, ain't that the truth!

Oooops, what I meant was...:D

Dan
Dan, I think I need your wig more than you do! My bald head hurts from all this thinking I have been doing to write these eloquent and intellectual posts!!HA HA!!! I think it is time for bed.

Jeff

Jarrod McGehee
07-27-2009, 1:24 AM
Jeff you inspire me. That's scripture right there!