PDA

View Full Version : Do diagrams explain jointer/planer use?

Stephen Tashiro
07-24-2009, 1:57 PM
I find the typical diagram of the jointer/planer's princple of operation rather silly. It shows in cross section how a flat board passing over the jointer/planer can be made flat. From the point of view of this diagram it doesn't matter if you press the board down on the out-feed table or the in-feed table. It should rest squarely on both - in theory.

In practice, you might have something like a 6 ft pine 2x4 from the hardware store. It will be bowed. Suppose you put it on the board down on the bed so the highest part of the bow is in the middle. When you start to feed it you will plane off some of the leading end. Then the bow will take over and raise the board above the cutter head in the middle. At the trailing edge you do some planing, but usually not as much as at the leading edge. The pure geometry of the situation is complicated. You have an arc moving over two tables that are at different levels. The motion of the arc depends on where it touches so the length of the tables does matter.

I'm sure there are as many ways to use jointer/planers as their are operators. But have any of these operators produced realistic diagrams to show their actual procedures?

I find it simplest to mark a line that shows how much of the bowed ends of the board needs to be taken off. Then I make partial passes to cut to that line. Often I hold the back end of the board slightly above the level of the in-feed table as I start the cut. I alternate which end of the board is the leading end until I get to the stage of a final few passes, when the idealized geometric theory shown in books actually applies.

Nate Carey
07-24-2009, 2:10 PM
Stephen, throw away the diagrams and find someone who can actually use a jointer properly. Ask this person to show you how a jointer works as he/she explains what's going on. Then practice, practice, practice with warped, twisted, and cupped work pieces 'til you get it right.

The jointer is a marvelous machine when used properly.

The planer does something entirely different.

Dave Wagner
07-24-2009, 3:03 PM
Here's one I found....

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDFfree/011160064.pdf

Stephen Tashiro
07-24-2009, 3:18 PM
That link deserves credit for showing that the board is placed on the jointer so the highest part of the bow faces up and is in the middle of the board. But it doesn't depart from the theoretical picture that you simply run the board over the bed, either pressing it flat against one of the tables or letting it rest wherever the arc of the bow wants it to touch.

I think a diagram of the way that I begin to straighten a board would show the initial partial passes at the ends and the board not pressed down completely on the in-feed table. This would emphasize that I don't press down hard on the board (on either table) since that tends to temporarily flatten it and it remains bowed when it springs back.