PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop Maintenance advise needed.

Drew Sanderson
07-24-2009, 12:56 PM
I recently bought a sawstop ICS at an auction and am currently in the process of converting it from 3 phase to single phase.

This process involves removing all the electrical components and the motor so the cabinet is mostly empty right now.

I was thinking of using a car wax on the interior to help dust from caking on on it. Do you think this will help. Any better ideas out there. Should I just leave it alone?

Also, I want to clean up and lubricate the worm gears, ect.

What sort of lublicant do you think is best? Grease as suggested in the manual or do you think I would be better off with something like a dry lube used on bicycles.

Any other advise while I have things all torn apart?

Thanks,
Drew

David Giles
07-24-2009, 10:12 PM
I waxed mine inside and out. Dust still sticks to it, inside and out. However, I've had better success with wax on the gears. The grease collects lots of sawdust. Wax seems to keep them cleaner.

Chip Lindley
07-25-2009, 2:39 PM
Alotta guys want to *Simonize* even the insides of their nice tablesaws--clean enough to eat off of! Caution! Lasagna sauce may severely rust ferrous metals!

The ONE exception may be if you cut lots of resinous woods like yellow pine! Pitch builds up fast where the blade throws sawdust. But, the best solution would be to catch the sawdust before it attaches itself to the saw.

Otherwise, lube (not OVER-lube) the moving mechanism with a lube that will not attract dust. Spend time hooking up DC and keeping the CI top rust-free and slick with paste wax, etc.

johnny means
07-25-2009, 11:30 PM
It's an industrial machine. A really well made one at that. Really not necessary or even helpful to treat it like a Doosenburg.