PDA

View Full Version : getting a mitred frame flush with veneered substrate

Jeff Monson
07-24-2009, 12:34 PM
I've done a couple of table tops with a mitred frame and the center being a veneered substrate, but it never seems to be perfect, It usually seems I end up with a small area that the substate is higher than the frame or vise versa.

I'm getting ready to make another one for a writing desk and I want it to be very nice, with a high gloss finish I dont want to see alot of waves from sanding out height errors.

I've used my domino cutter referencing off of the top surfaces to do the last couple of projects.

So whats the best advice, leave the frame proud of the substrate and have someone run it through a drum sander(I dont own one)?? or leaving the frame proud and hand planing it??

Stephen Musial
07-24-2009, 2:22 PM
Leave the frame 1/32" or so proud and hand plane it then scrape it to get it perfect.

Dave Bureau
07-24-2009, 2:29 PM
leave it proud and use a flush trim bit.

Chaz Alexopoulos
07-24-2009, 2:46 PM

That's what I was thinking but being new, didn't want to just throw it out there.

Jeff Monson
07-24-2009, 3:40 PM

Thats kind of hard to do with a 3" frame, or am I missing something??

Stephen Edwards
07-24-2009, 4:02 PM

Ditto.......That's what I like to do.

sean m. titmas
07-24-2009, 4:06 PM
for frame and panels assemblies i use a scrap of vertical grade p-laminate or aluminum coil stock as a shim on the panel to raise the dowel machine (or biscuit joiner) by a 1/32". after assembling i use a card scraper to level off the frame flush with the panel.