PDA

View Full Version : Ipe for duck calls

Quinn McCarthy
07-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Has anybody used Ipe for duck calls. I have to make a few calls and have some laying around. I read that the denser the wood the better the call and ipe is about as dense of a wood as I have come across. It is naturally resistant to water. Don't know if that is good or not.

Thanks

Quinn

Mike Svoma
07-24-2009, 1:47 PM
Should work real good for calls.

Bob Hallowell
07-24-2009, 2:11 PM
should work, but it cuts like iron.

Cyril Griesbach
07-24-2009, 2:18 PM
I've made quite a number of duck calls for my duck hunting friends. I can make duck sounds on a call but I'm no duck caller and friends that are good at it politely chuckle at my attempts. The only call I made of Ipe was generally considered to have a very poor tone. The calls that have been liked seemed mostly to be the ones of Maple, Cherry, Walnut and that laminated color wood from Craft Supplies.

I'd suggest you make several from different woods including the Ipe and let the duck callers decide.

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2009, 2:19 PM
I agree. Should work but turns hard.

Marvin Hasenak
07-24-2009, 9:10 PM
Ipe will make a great duck call, it is not so much the wood that makes a duck call good, it is the toneboard. You can use almost any wood if you can make a good toneboard. Lousy toneboard and great wood creates a lousy duck call. The same goes for all game calls, the sound comes first, if you have a great sound the call can be made from just about any wood. An example is red cedar, a relatively soft wood that is not used very often for calls but with a good toneboard you have both, good looks with good sound.

Cyril Griesbach
07-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Marvin makes a good point. The toneboards I've used are considered quite good and the excellent and experienced duck callers I've known have liked them quite well. Except for the Ipe.

terry richards
07-25-2009, 6:25 PM
I've never made a duck call, but I think a wood that would float would be an asset in water blinds. Ipe will sink. Keep the lanyard around your neck.

Quinn McCarthy
07-25-2009, 9:25 PM
Thanks for all of the great information.

You have all brought up great points.

Quinn