PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Bowl - Merged with Beall

Dick Parr
09-02-2004, 4:44 PM
Here are two firsts. One is it is the first bowl off the old lathe and the other is the first use of the Beal buffing process. I didn't have the mineral spirits and varnish mix that Tom and Dom suggested and I wasn't going to the store until tomorrow so I just sanded it to what I thought would be pretty good (400 grit). I was fairly happy with it at this point. it ended up 6"x3". :) I then finished it up with my first attempt at the Beal buff. This is where the mineral spirits and varnish mix would have been nice :( . When I got to the white diamond compound, it filled up the tears in the walnut and no matter how hard I buffed it, not all of the white compound would come out :eek:. Next time I will have that mixture and or sanding sealer before I buff.

Thanks for looking

Mike Cutler
09-02-2004, 5:06 PM
I'm not much of a turner type Dick, but those pictures look pretty nice to me. The grain is really nice. If the home brew Tom and Dom suggested gives better results than what you got already it must be some really good stuff. Once again, nice work.

Michael Stafford
09-02-2004, 5:10 PM
I love the nice rich color. The buffing system works great. I use it on my boxes a lot. Good job!!!

Jim Becker
09-02-2004, 5:38 PM
Very nice tunring with good form. The walnut looks super, too...great finish!

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-02-2004, 8:55 PM
Looks great to me! I like the form, especially the rolled edge detail, that adds a certain look that appeals to me. The finish is really nice, it did justice to a nice piece of wood. It is amazing how well the Beall System works. I know all about the White Diamond getting in the crevices Dick, and it will drive ya nuts trying to get that stuff buffed out..............nearly impossible at times. It just takes a touch of the White Diamond bar to the wheel to get it loaded so it will do the job...............DAMHIKT! Great work Dick...............thanks for sharing the picture! (Great pic too!) :D

Dick Parr
09-02-2004, 9:19 PM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

The pictures did turn out pretty good, and Jim didn't even notice/comment that I used a white background for the picture this time instead of blue. Even though it does need to be ironed. :p You were right Jim it does work better, thanks for that tip.

Kevin the rolled edge just sort of happened as I was going. One of these days I will draw out a form before I start and try to stick with it. It's kind of like the bottle stoppers I make, I never know what it is going to look like until it comes off the lathe. A lot of it depends on how many catches I have as to what shape it will end up. :eek: :D

Thanks again

Jim Ketron
09-02-2004, 10:27 PM
They Look great Dick
Walnut that remindes me I need to go get some off a tree that blew down a few months ago!
Does it turn good green?
Jim

Tom Sweeney
09-02-2004, 10:49 PM
Great job Dick,
The wood, form & finish look superb. Like Kevin I like the rolled edge on the rim. Sometimes, when things are going good, the wood tells us what it wants to be :cool:

Did you use an oil finish before you buffed it?

Great job - that new old lathe is sure looking like a great deal now :D

Dick Parr
09-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Jim,

I can't tell ya if it turns good green, since all have is some old stuff I won in a raffle at the tuners mtg a few months ago. :p

Tom,

I used Tung Oil before the buff and now wish I had used the mixture you suggested. :(

Ralph Morris
09-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Beal buff <---something new to me. What is it?

Dick Parr
09-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Ralph,

I would have answered you in the other thread but for whatever reason it closed. :confused:

The beall buff is a buffing process using 3 different wheels with 3 different compounds to get an outstanding finish on wood items. :D They also have bowl buffs and goblet buffs.

Do a search on Beall Buff system and you can take a look at what it is.

Ralph Morris
09-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Same company who makes threading toolings? I was wondering how everyone gets those eye catching looking bowls!

Jim Becker
09-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Same company, Ralph. They have a bunch of neato stuff! The Beall buffing system is a favorite of mine, too...I'm a believer.