PDA

View Full Version : I screwed up, now what?

Rob Price
07-24-2009, 1:31 AM
Okay, so I've spent a few months trying to get around to my router station, ala Norm. When I initially started the project, I planned on using my own router plate (3/8 polycarb) to cut down on costs and stick with my current PC 690 series router. I made the opening 8"x12." It took me forever to get around to finishing it with summer vacation schedule and all. In the process I started changing things on the fly- not good.

Then I found a great deal on a PC 893 kit, I've always wanted a little more power and this thing is compatible with all my other plates and accessories, so happy B-day to me. I also found some great (large) bits on clearance that I couldn't use on my old 1 3/4 HP unit but now I've got a little more power. Problem is these bits need a much bigger opening in the router plate, and with my home made plastic option I need a different plate for each size opening. I like the through the table height adjustment as well. But even at 3/8 the polycarb flexes with a little downward pressure.

So then I decided, maybe I want an aluminum plate with removable inserts to accomodate these bits, but all the plates I could find were 11 and 3/4 inches wide, too short for the opening I've already carved out. I found a "Large" Rockler plate on clearance for $50 and jumped on it. 9x13" works with my exisiting hole- except the center hole is also "Large." Almost too large for the PC base.

If I lay out the PC stock baseplate on the new aluminum blank, the holes are JUST outside of the center hole rabbeted edge. My concern is that when I countersink the holes it will spill over onto the center plastic insert. So then the router will be supported by screws that are halfway recessed in aluminum and the other half resting on the plastic insert. I'll try to post pics to explain better what's going on. to keep swapping out inserts I'm tempted to just cut a hole where the screws are, but then that cuts down on the supporting edge for the screws.

So my question (if you're still reading) is that will half a hole in the aluminum still be enough to support my router? The plate was on clearance, I'm not sure I can return it.

Rick Potter
07-24-2009, 3:25 AM
This sounds a bit Mickey Mouse, but it would work........Cut your lexan base about 1 1/2" or so larger than the base of the router. Drill some holes farther out on the lexan base and match them on the aluminum base.

Basically, you are making a donut out of the lexan, and using it as a spacer. It should not have any flex in it, and move the screws out of the way. Only downside I see is that you lose 1/4" of throw on the router.

If you are handy, you could make the spacer out of aluminum pretty easily too.

Rick Potter

Rob Price
08-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I actually got it to work. By the time I counterbored for the screws, they end up resting on the flange. You can see the results here. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1186455#post1186455)