PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Bowl - Turned & Burned

BILL DONAHUE
07-23-2009, 9:14 PM
This cypress bowl is 7" X 3" finished with danish oil and beall buffed. Just got a woodburner and this became my sketchbook, something to practice on.

Have only tried woodburning once, on Christmas Day when I was 8 years old and got a woodburner from an aunt (who always gave me impractical things for a kid my age). In less than 15 minutes I managed to burn my hand, dropped the woodburner on newspaper designed to protect the dining room table, started a fire and then the woodburner mysteriously disappeared. To this day I've never had the nerve to ask what happened to the woodburner and never moved the placemat that covered the burned place on the table.

I really like the work of Wally Dickerman, Molly Winton and Stephen Hatcher and long-term want to head in their direction. The idea for a Celtic Cross came from a daughter's necklace. I then tried stippling and after starting it had the idea to make the stippling follow the age rings of the bowl. It was all an experiment and a stretch.

Richard Madison
07-23-2009, 9:30 PM
Bill, Your practice is better than my practice. I wear a glove but can make dots and spots for just a few minutes before having to let the pen cool for a few minutes. After several "sets" my vision begins to blurr and my hand begins to shake. It's real nervous but it sure is fun.

Gerold Griffin
07-23-2009, 9:37 PM
Bill, that turned out really nice. For the first time using a burner - WOW! Can't wait to see some more, you have the knack for that so take it as far as you can. I like the shape and the wood burning creates even more visual interest. Very impressive piece.

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2009, 9:42 PM
Bill that turned out to be a great piece. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
07-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Nice work Bill! I like the form of the bowl - even before the enhancements! Really like the effect of the stippling when you followed the growth rings. Somehow seems to flow from one right into the other.... very cool effect!

alex carey
07-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Very cool, looks like your on your way to becoming a pro. I've never gotten my stuff to look that good.

Jarrod McGehee
07-24-2009, 12:55 AM
that is really nice stuff. I like the cross and well your whole piece. nice job

Chris Rae
07-24-2009, 1:14 PM
Great job! I love the form of the bowl and the way you followed the growth rings. Very cool idea and it turned out nice.

Alan Tolchinsky
07-24-2009, 4:12 PM
Nice job on that; it must have taken a lot of time. I like your "turned and burned" header. It gave me a laugh. Thanks for sharing.

Harlan Coverdale
07-24-2009, 4:51 PM
Nicely done Bill. The wide stippled band is a great touch to highlight the cross.

Ryan Baker
07-24-2009, 10:47 PM
That is really cool! It must have taken forever to do all that burning. Nice form too.