PDA

View Full Version : Treated lumber OK for exterior screen door?

Stephen Tashiro
07-23-2009, 1:58 PM
In looking at the 1" deck plank at the local hardware stores, it occurred to me that it might be a good material for an exterior screen door. Is that a good idea?

Joe Scharle
07-23-2009, 2:21 PM
Never had too much luck with it wet as it comes from the BORG. I've made fence gates with it after it has dried out some. I would use white oak and for a screen door we're not talking a lot of lumber.

Frank Drew
07-23-2009, 2:42 PM
I'd go with fir, probably.

I don't think treated lumber would be necessary, in any case, even if you could find stuff dry and flat enough to use in doormaking.

John Keeton
07-23-2009, 2:47 PM
Stephen, the problem would be stability. The PTW available is fast growth pine/fir and is inherently unstable, on top of being soaking wet when you buy it. It is unlikely to stay straight and flat. You could possibly buy several sticks of it, sticker it until it is fully dry, and then see if you have enough straight stock.

But, I think I would go with white oak if it is available.

Mark Smith, too
07-23-2009, 2:48 PM
In looking at the 1" deck plank at the local hardware stores, it occurred to me that it might be a good material for an exterior screen door. Is that a good idea?

It will shrink greatly and in the process probably twist. I am sure you will be sorry you chose it. Go with KD fir (not the wet construction grade stuff at the BORG.) Go to a lumber yard and get some good dry stock.

George Bregar
07-23-2009, 2:52 PM
It will shrink greatly and in the process probably twist. I am sure you will be sorry you chose it. Go with KD fir (not the wet construction grade stuff at the BORG.) Go to a lumber yard and get some good dry stock. +1 on the fir. Get straight grain stock, or rip it from a wider board.